RSS Feed Print
Time for a facility, but which one?
D.Robertson
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 5:19 PM

My father has the dual diagnosis of Alzheimer's disease and Lowey Body disease.  He has been home with my step mom caring for him but it's now time to place him in a facility.  He has been falling more frequently etc.  I will be doing the research and have questions.  Most important right now, is there a tool available that lists questions I need to ask.  Something that will enable us to make an informed choice. 

Thanks

dms
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 5:23 PM

I recently placed Mom in a dementia unit with alot of hesitation,, but I just got back from my first visit with her this weekend and I could not be happier for her care.... she was so happy and kept so busy and was very clean and neat and the meals looked terrific

I hope you find the best place for your dad that it makes you feel like I do that I did the right thing for my Mom.

good luck in your search

dms

JAB
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 5:32 PM

Hi, D, welcome to the boards.

You may  find the National Clearinghouse for Long-Term Care Information helpful:
 http://www.longtermcare.gov/LTC/Main_Site/index.aspx

One thing you might want to consider is hiring a geriatric care manager. These professionals are experienced at evaluating the specific situation and personalities involved, recommending the types of in-home support or assisted living that would be most appropriate, and helping you locate the best providers. You would want to make the final decisions, but having someone carve through the forest of info for you to narrow down your search may make it a lot less overwhelming

GCMs sometimes specialize (health care, vs financial issues, vs legal issues) so be sure to find one who can deal with the specific issues you are facing.

Your local chapter of the Alz Assoc probably also has a list of geriatric care managers in your area and/or can give you ideas on how to find a qualified social worker to help you.
http://www.alz.org/apps/findus.asp

Also, contact your Area Agency on Aging for ideas, information and contacts:
http://www.aoa.gov/AoARoot/AoA_Programs/OAA/How_To_Find/Agencies/find_agencies.aspx

They may even provide the services of a social worker who is qualified to act as a geriatric care manager, depending on your local agency policy.

This post has been edited by the ALZConnected Moderator on February 9th, 2012. 

Angela65
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 5:33 PM

Good Luck in your search , do walk in visit when you are narrowing your choices, just walk in as if you are there visiting someone and do it at random hrs. with a scheduled appt. everthing looks good. check to see if the residents look as though they are being well cared for do they look like some1 actually helped them dress and assisted with dly hygiene needs , does the place smell and look clean are the residents involved in activitys or are they all just sitting in chairs go at meal time are the residents being assisted in a mannerlyway. Does staff seem pleasant and like they know what they are doing. Have they been properly trained, check the credetials of the facility. Just a few ideas hope they help good luck 2 you.