RSS Feed Print
Buttons falling out
Susan420
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:18 AM

My buttons keep falling out!!

Reminds me when my Dad Wild Bill  was home,even before we moved in.

Dad would have Mom call me long distance so I could fix is numbers on the TV.

Seems he would get channel surfin so fast he would freeze the TV up.

Although a few times it happened it wasnt because of channel surfin at the speed of light. It was because of tech problems with the cable. It happens nothing is perfect.

So I would talk him through.

After we moved in I would hear Susan can you help me the numbers fell out again? I would here this atleast 4 times a day. He would mostly laugh about it.

A few times I even called our cable company in front of him,so they could talk me through it. Ok I knew what he was doing,but it seemed to make him happy that I called. Cable co. Im sure still thinks Im insane. Thats ok.

At Dads home we can bring in a TV for their rooms but they do not have cable.

So I had to get another box and that means 2 remotes for numbers to fall out of.

I used to get phone calls from Dad to fix his numbers all the time.

Sometimes he would wait until I came up to fix his numbers. Seems the New  Remotes confuse him,change confuses him.

So after a few months of this Dad no longer calls me to fix his numbers. Or has me fix his TV when I go see him.

He's not watching TV that much anymore.

While thats kind of a good thing because you know what they say about TV...

But it makes me wonder how many people will just give up after their buttons keep falling out.

Cheryle Gardiner
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:58 AM

Susan, I hear you about the t.v. remotes! I got a universal remote for our house so Jim wouldn't have to remember which remote controlled which function, but it didn't help at all. He would still mess everything up - and it was always the t.v.'s fault! 

At the memory care home, I hid the remote for the t.v. because he can control everything with the cable remote. A couple of weeks ago, he found it and had changed the channel, so the "damn t.v." wasn't working anymore. I fixed it and put the remote where he can't reach it, so I think I've solved the problem. Except he's started watching the Shopping Network. I think he just likes the sound and pictures.
Dot
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 10:21 AM

Jeeze, can I relate (and DH is still pretty sensible!).  His biggest problem is not being able to get TV and Cable to turn on together. (One button does it all!).  He constantly blames the batteries, takes them out and switches them.  I can push a couple of buttons and all is well.

Some days it's the weather channel all day.  Evenings is westerns.  But he does still ask if there's something I want to watch.

Dot

Susan420
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 10:56 AM

Thanks Cheryl and Dot

Makes me feel better that Dad isnt the only one easily confused my the remote.

This was also my lame attempt at complainin about having to log in and out here the last few days just to post or reply

Wilsontot
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 11:33 AM

We had the same issues with the remote - mom would call me and say - Susie your dad has done something to the remote again....last time he really got it messed up - he did it while mom was still in the bed and when she got up - he had gotten down on the floor and unplugged EVERYTHING!!!!!!  I called my brother and he ran out and hooked up all back up...and the problem was he had hit the "input" button on the remote. 

This past weekend - he was trying to call my aunt using the remote and my brother had to remind him that was for the TV - didn't work as a phone!

When he was in rehab the first go round - we had an awful time with the remote and what all it controlled from the "security camera" to the phone to the tv to whatever.  Luckily his speech therapist really worked with him on that and after about 5 weeks - he finally understood it!  And it was a very very very basis remote.

So nope you are not alone!!!

Susan420
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 11:48 AM

Thats funny calling with the remote!!

Phone issues with Dad are a whole nother story!!

Dad still packs up everything including the Tv ant and the box. Finding the cords to everything has also been lots of fun

I'm so glad Im not alone

Zolly
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 11:52 AM

Folks

I am not Demented or stunted in mental growth. But I still have trouble when I have to bring out 3 remotes to work my TV and the associated accessories (Blue Ray and such). To aid me I write down what I do, and when I find a successful set of remote settings I make a smooth copy of my successful surfing navigations.  

When my wife was home and in her Demented stage she would take a remote and punch buttons like crazy until we had nothing but a black screen. It would take me hours just to find out where our TV signal was.

The other night on TV (60 minutes?) a guy was chatting about how confusing the TV remote was. Someone had spoken to him that one must be a graduate of MIT Engineering to know the remote navigations. The guy said I am a graduate of MIT and I cannot figure out the 42 buttons on my TV remote.

And I will tell you a cliche phrase I have learned out both TV's and computer help. When asking a knowledgeable TV/computer person about  navigations, if they start out their reply with "Just,,,", you are in for trouble. These people whom have never proctored a person on the manipulations of remote/keyboard navigation will always leave out a key word or phrase from their explination, and after Mr. Brillant leaves you follow the instructions given, and some word or phrase will be missing which is part of the navigation. When they say "Just..." ask for a reexplination.

Susan420
Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 2012 12:07 PM

Zolly

You are so very right if anyone tells you just...

Hang it up its not gonna happen!

I also have a small confession I can not work our dvd player. I know right! I have been using remotes for a big part of my life. I also have learned computers by trial and error. Ok I have broke a few computer but I now know how to put them back.

I once asked my youngest son to show me how to work the dvd player.

He said Mom you just have to.....

I walked away.