RSS Feed Print
If you want to take action re the new board...
Myriam
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 3:59 PM

You can call the National office at (800) 272-3900 and ask for Mr. Hovland's office; fax a statement to him at (866) 699-1249; or mail a letter/memo to him at Alzheimer's Association National Office, 225 N. Michigan Ave., Fl 17, Chicago, IL 60601. 

Below is a draft of what I am sending. You are more than welcomed to use it as a template and modify: 

Date: 

To: Richard Hovland, Chief Operating Officer, Alzheimer’s Association 

First, I would like to express my deep appreciation for the AA’s Message Board.  As a (choose one) caregiver/spouse/person with AD, the MB has been a godsend. Personally, it is the most important tool available to me for information and support.  

Unfortunately, the AA made a decision to upgrade the old MB. Since the inception of the new Board, there has been and continues to be great frustration because of its many flaws in design and lack of insight into our needs.  I urge you to peruse the MB and read the many complaints and frustrations expressed. At times, Moderators attempt to address our concerns, but to this date, no significant changes or improvements have been made.   

Mr. Hovland, the MB is my life line, and I urge you to investigate further.  After all, we are the customer. 

I look forward to hearing from you regarding actions that will be taken. 

Raven
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 4:59 PM

Do your really think that this "Mr.Hovland" is going to read or care about the complaints of this new site?

Why did this site change in its entirety anyhow?  I do realize that I've been away for sometime now,,due to illness,,however,,it seems as if "NOBODY" is happy here,,except for the newest of the new caregivers. Change is always hard to adapt to I suppose.

I always enjoyed being able to go into some of the chatrooms,,which I've not been able to find,,course I'm still learning how to manuver here,,again.

I hope that your letter works,,I wish you the best of luck,,but I think its going to have to be a wait and see what happens. Peace

Gidget P
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 5:12 PM

Use full words instead of  acronyms.
crella
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 6:39 PM

Maybe we could list exactly which features are hard to use. Personally, what is most frustrating for me is that clicking on a thread title does not take me to the next unread post. This is the only board I have been on that does not....the old board was like that too, and I hoped when the change came that would be rectified. Unless we have that option and I haven't found it yet! There is 'last post' but that doesn't mean it's *my first unread post* and on the old board and this new one I am so sick of the amount of scrolling that is necessary to keep up with a board as busy as this one. I am reading much less now, it's too much trouble. I've been a member of 6-8 boards since 2001 when I really started to get involved in the net and this is the only board that is like this.

This is the only site out of all I belong to that I have to sign into every time I come to it, so I don't think it's a problem on my end. I am registered a Japanese news site, my cooking school's site, one for ex-pat wives in Japan, CNN, an etiquette board, Facebook, and two for a cause I'm interested in (I'm not on all of them daily or at once! Good heavens the list looks like I spend my life online! ) and only this one requires a sign-in whenever I come to it.

Those are my problems with it.

Myriam
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 8:38 PM

Gidget P wrote:
Use full words instead of  acronyms.
Thank you, Gidget. Yes, I used initials just for the post. Have drafted many letters to US and state senators and reps for my AARP volunteers' lobbying efforts.

Myriam
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 8:47 PM

Raven wrote:

Do your really think that this "Mr.Hovland" is going to read or care about the complaints of this new site?

I am certain it will be read. If he delegates his correspondence to someone, I'm sure he or she will summarize or share the mail with him.  I worked for AARP for 10 years, which is much larger than AZ Assn. I know the directors received daily briefings of correspondence, with copies of the correspondence attached. I assume the same or similar practice takes place within AZ Assn. If they don't, it's a serious problem. What organization would not listen to it's constituents? 

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 1:59 AM

Raven wrote:

Why did this site change in its entirety anyhow? 

We never got a good a good answer.  I've heard there was a problem with the contract with the providers of the old board's software.  Then I heard there was a desire to attract more new members.   

I've always wondered why those in authority just didn't try to duplicate the original message board and make tweaks here and there. 

I believe the people who made all these changes may have known computers, but they did not know the purpose of our message board nor our membership.  

I forgot to mention, while you were away, Raven, we lost the chat room, but gremlin and other got it back by going directly to the head of the Alzheimer's Association by telephone and email. 

The new board looks different because many of the old members did not make the transition.  Also, we don't have access to the old board.  The Archives are in an unsearchable and basically unusable condition with no names or dates on posts. 

Please visit Website Issues for more followup of communication between members and Admin/Moderators. 

Iris L.