RSS Feed Print
eating but not eating
mellen
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 10:45 PM

well my mom is 93 has had alz for at least 4 years that we finally caught on and knew she need more care. well since last sept sje has lived with me. she ate great and everything all her life even when she moved in as long as it was very hot. well about a month ago i noticed her appetite started decreasing which was ok because she a little chunky. she expecially like home made soups. now when i make her something or anything she will tell me it is breakfast time and she justs wants cereal. i am getting worried she just pushes her food away and demands cereal or toast. is this common or any solutions today she has asked to eat every 2 to 3 hours and only wants cereal but then doesn't finish it at all.
Teppie
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 10:51 PM

I would feed her what she asks for. Have you tried just placing food out and sitting with her while she eats? She may copy what you eat if it is there for the taking. No amount of begging or reasoning will make her eat what you want her to eat. The disease is in control now.
skericheri
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 11:30 PM

mellen---Her reasoner is broken.  Instead of giving her a regular dinner, I'd start out giving her what she wants and sitting down with your regular meal at the same time.  Offer her some to 'sample'.  Tempt her with remarks like:  This tastes so good...or...This is not as good as you made, please tell me what is missing. 

If you want to get some extra nutrition in the cereal you can add fruit and use some vanilla Ensure.  An open faced grilled cheese sandwich might satisfy her hankering for toast. 

Perhaps she would be more interested in eating if she helped in preparation. I used to put Charlie to work reading recipes and measuring things.

Iris L.
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 11:39 PM

ADLOs may need a lot of encouragement to get the nutrition they need.  Here is a link to the Alzheimer's Associaion's information on eating:  http://www.alz.org/living_with_alzheimers_eating.asp 

Iris L.

JAB
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2012 1:45 PM

Hi, mellen.  There can be all sorts of reasons why our loved ones stop eating as much as they were ... and so there can be all sorts of things we can do to help our loved ones get enough nutrition.  See:
http://www.alzcompend.info/?p=218
TiredCindy
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2012 6:19 PM

My mom only eats ham on bread with mayo.  That's it.  Nothing else.....oh, except sweets......   I'm happy if she is happy!