RSS Feed Print
small change in routine leads to confusion for the week
heart
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 7:14 PM

Routine is the key. I heard this on a radio show this week. Meals and activities need to be at the same time,no later, every day.

The start of the week , we had an appt so the schedule was off. All week, my loved one has been so confused. I hope that it takes less than the two weeks that was stated on the radio show broadcast.

Does anyone else see this same pattern?

JAB
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 7:24 PM

Anything that causes stress can exacerbate the symptoms for a while.  How long your loved one shows the effects of a change in routine depends on how stressed your loved one was by the change in routine.

I think two weeks is kind of long for something as simple as an appointment.  My husband may be off-kilter for a couple-three days from a doctor's appointment.  It would take a lot more stress than that to bother him for more than a week.

I suppose you've given consideration to the possibility that your loved one may have developed an infection, such as the Dread UTI, rather than being bothered by the appointment ... ?

mavsmile
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 8:16 PM

Routine, routine, routine....I preach routine to anyone who will listen...I truly believe it makes all the difference inthe world to our LO's...I have seen my dad decline due to changes in routine.........some cant be helped, but others can be.........I ask all the aides to follow his routine not make up theirs but many do not listen or understand and if i am not here (which defeats the purpose of having the aide) one cannot always tell other than by behaviors.....
mavsmile
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 8:17 PM

I forgot to add, i try to use any technique that i know he enjoys to calm him  & ge t him back to his baseline....like music....he is now watching a DVD of Yanni and hopefully relaxing & regrouping