RSS Feed Print
Those evil UTI's!
rose_ro
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2012 1:37 PM

About two weeks ago, Mom seemed to be on her way to improvement - I mean, she was, but somewhere, bacteria were causing problems!

She had stopped talking about going home, was looking forward to moving with Dad to AL.

But, two weeks ago this weekend, she was very tired, listless, not eating - not even ice cream!  She developed stomach pains, then had a fever of 101.3 - we got her to the hospital, and by then her fever was 102.5!  She had been given tylenol, which got the fever down (and it never went back up again really), but we had to have all the tests once again...seems she had the evil UTI and some evil diverticulitis...

But it's a setback, and I am just so worn out...She has gone through all the rough stuff again, talking about going home (which once again seems to mean she wants to be in bed), but she developed some new fun stuff (not!).  She started talking about this week how my father or I were trying to kill her.  I don't think it's the UTI any more, and when she gets some rest, she stops talking that way.  I think it has something to do with the adrenaline thing again..

Just - tired. I have a cold today, and stepped on the wrong side of a staple.  Once again, we're working with her to get her to eat again...

Have to read some posts here to distract me, in a way!  Or help me deal, help me cope...

I did get a supplement with Vit C, cranberry and d-mannose and we're getting her to drink lots of liquids.  She will take this supplement every day!  (I did talk to the doctor and the nurse about it)

DZ
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 6:32 AM

rose_ro wrote:

She developed stomach pains, then had a fever of 101.3 - we got her to the hospital, and by then her fever was 102.5!  She had been given tylenol, which got the fever down (and it never went back up again really), but we had to have all the tests once again...seems she had the evil UTI and some evil diverticulitis...

<><><>

Have to read some posts here to distract me, in a way!  Or help me deal, help me cope...

I did get a supplement with Vit C, cranberry and d-mannose and we're getting her to drink lots of liquids.  She will take this supplement every day!  (I did talk to the doctor and the nurse about it)

UTI's are a major  source of behavior change out side of the AD,inho. The changes can be subtle of dramatic in my experience. Recently we both had urine tests. I fully expected my ADW to show she had a UTI. She was clear, But her AD functioning is impacted by the brain damage. It is such a terrrible rollercoaster.

Some members disagree with me, I insist that a urine test include a culture tto identify the infection. I have a bladder infection UTI that is antibiotics resistant and it has been a battle for over a year to maintain control over the infection. My wife's test was clear, mine was not.

We drink gallons of Cranberry juices. I tried d-mannos during a lull in my battle and it did not help.

Noticing slow chnages in AD is so difficult. I think we accomodate changes and miss thise that are from UTI's

DLM_ifm DZ