RSS Feed Print
Help getting my Mom to emit she needs help caring for my Step-Dad
cubby9396
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 8:49 PM

Hi so here is the back story my Step-Dad was recently diagnosed with early onset dementia its progressing quickly in my mind. Two to three years ago we started noticing he was short tempered the got confused easily with new things and any thing that involved numbers.  Now he gets confused with the simplest things likely cutting potatoes for mashed potatoes.he also NEEDS to change his clothes to walk the dog in the yard.  We had to close down the retail store he has owned for 30 years.  My Mom still has three retail stores of her own and is way over extended and stressed out to the max. Most days she takes my step-dad to work with her because she is worried about what will happen if he is home alone and if he will eat.  Yesterday he stayed home he told her he walk to the local car garage to drop off the keys to the car which needs fixed but thats at least 2 miles each way and all of the keys where still at home. I live a two hour drive from their house and work full time and try and help as much as possible but my Mom needs help taking care of him and for herself.  She is stressed all of the time. I think she would benefit if she had some one to talk to thats been though this.  I looked for a support group in her area but she lives in rural PA and there are none in the area plus she would say she does not have the time. How can I convince her that getting on here might help her?  I am so worried she is going to break down.

Thank you for any advice!

Homer_E_S
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 9:18 PM

Well, you need to get her hooked to Alz.org and this forum. 

Oh, hell yeah she is stressed out and it only gets worse.

She has a lot of planning to with her lawyer.

Her and his Doc have a lot to work out.

And the stress will make her sick or worse.

You, your siblings, his children if any need to help her make plans.

The sad fact is Alz is down hill all the way.

Another fact is Alz  usually hits you in the wallet, so hiring him a companion (as long as he doesn't medical aid) can start to take a little stress off your mom. . Any nice older gentleman who needs a little extra income and likes to play dominos.

Send your mom here, she can get advice on a lot of things she is facing.

Best wishes to you and your mom.

cubby9396
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 9:35 PM

Thank you!! Luckily his brother is a lawyer and has been a big help help in this area.  We just this week got ss disability approved that was one stress out of the way, there will be a new one tomorrow.

I have been having a hard time getting answers out of my mom she will tell me the sugar coated version. then my sister gets more by over hearing her talking at work to someone else then his daughter who is a nurse gets more of the medical info. His daughter started going to the docs with them which has helped alot. So between the three of our different stories we hope we all of the info but I don't think we do.