RSS Feed Print
Really?? The dog too?
​NorthWoods
Posted: Thursday, July 6, 2017 8:39 PM

My husband sundowns significantly.  Recently our 15.5 year old lab has been getting really agitated after dinner-pacing, barking, nudging me constantly, wanting to go out and then right back in again. Concerned, I called the vet.  I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when she said "He's sundowning."  I've had dogs for 30 years.  Who knew?  Needless to say my house is a bit nuts in the evenings.
grammyteacher
Posted: Thursday, July 6, 2017 9:36 PM

Thanks for the chuckle. We have an 18 year old cat who is getting incontinent. Sundowning at your house, pads (diapers) at ours. LOL
dayn2nite2
Posted: Thursday, July 6, 2017 10:21 PM

Yes, unfortunately dogs too.  Beware, because they can suddenly not recognize you and get aggressive.  I had a poodle with dementia, it was very sad.
MacyRose
Posted: Friday, July 7, 2017 5:17 PM

There is a medication for CCD (Canine Cognitive Disfunction or ODS - Old Dog Syndrome - that's what it is called in dogs.). The medication works amazingly well.  It's called Anipryl.  I had a dog years ago who got CCD and she would pace until she was panting heavily and also didn't want to go in her crate at night.  We put her on Anipryl and the change was AMAZING!  She became very sweet and loving and relaxed.  She lived on another 3 years until she got liver cancer - but she lived well into age 16 - really a long life for a Cocker Spaniel.