RSS Feed Print
In search of a better dream.
Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2019 4:38 AM

I love writing. And doing almost anything. At my leisurely pace. With no deadline. That’s when I flow and perform the best.  Removed from any pressure. So maybe it was a bad choice. To become a newspaper reporter. But it worked. Because as a younger man. It was thrilling. To have to meet. An almost instant deadline. Bang. Bang. Bang. I had to bang out a story. Not tomorrow. But today. In the moment.  I did it. Don’t know how. But I did it. Repeatedly.  Of course, I didn’t have to do that every day. I could take my time, too. On a feature story. A day or two. Maybe even a week. Time to ponder.  That’s the way a life should be lived.  At a reasonable pace.  Exactly what I’m doing now. After waking from a tense dream. Of having to write a story. For a fast-approaching deadline. And suffering from writer’s block. Solved the problem. By getting up. And musing this. In less than two minutes.  Knowing. That if I wanted to. I could take all day. Or simply go back to bed. In search of a better dream. --Jim

Andy61
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2019 7:34 AM

Jim, no doubt you love to write. I did a quick search, and found the below title written by you, and at one time, you actually wrote complete sentences, with correct punctuation. Don’t misunderstand, Im the last person that should point our grammatical errors, as I failed all my English writing classes.

Teachers propose eliminating 31 jobs to improve their pay in Forest Lake - From 1991.

I may not always agree with you, but.......

Jim Broede
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2019 11:19 AM

In my world, Andy, there isn't a right way or a wrong way to write. It's all right to break the conventional rules. In choosing one's course of life. Thank gawd. We aren't all the same. You're different,  Andy. Unique. That's what makes you, you.  And I'm happy to accept you, as you. By the way, I suspect that you break rules every day. Even though that can be risky. And misunderstood. In a society that requires conformance. I'm for allowing you leeway. As long as you don't needlessly harm others. It's all right. To try another writing style. Some people tell me they like it. Others don't. That's their choice. --Jim
Andy61
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2019 11:28 AM

How can that be? In your world, you were a professional writer, so you had to follow some rules. However, I do suspect that based on many of your posts here, your world is the one that only you live in, and follow your own inclinations. Nothing. Wrong. With. That.

Yes, I have broken more than a few rules. I could not of had the success I had for 29 years in the Marines by only following rules. Improvise. Adapt. Initiative. Avoid going with the flow. All I needed for survival.