RSS Feed Print
TGIF? More like OSIF.
mrgladd
Posted: Friday, March 8, 2019 12:58 PM

Being a caregiver causes a lot of shift in one's thinking. Today at work, people were saying, "TGIF!"

I recall thinking at that moment, "More like OSIF!" (Oh, s*** it's Friday.) Meaning I have Dad all weekend. When did work become an oasis of sanity? An escape room I have no desire to escape from?

It seems to me that this job causes a giant shift in one's reality.

ruthmendez
Posted: Friday, March 8, 2019 1:21 PM

OMG! You’re the first person who’s said this and I can so relate! Sometimes I don’t look too forward to it anymore because it’s still work work work....I probably have a little (kmm kmm) drink or two but it’s not that enjoyable
MissHer
Posted: Friday, March 8, 2019 1:33 PM

Lol  Mine was, oh crap it's morning. Time for the daily battle. I don't know how you guys do it. It sounds exhausting. Do you have to get them ready and yourself before work?. Then you come home and get no rest because you need to take care of them. Maybe it's an age thing because I'm in my midish 60's and my mom was fully dependent on me because she couldn't even walk. I had lots more energy 10 years ago.
mrgladd
Posted: Friday, March 8, 2019 1:45 PM

MissHer, I'm 49 and I do it by not doing it. I get home around 5:30. I heat up the dinner someone has left for Dad at 6:00 then let him watch the news and then "Wheel of Fortune" and then put him to bed at 7:30 because he sundowns. At that point I put my clown makeup on and go try and make people laugh for a while because I find it a great stress reliever.

Don't judge me.

Anyway, at first I felt bad about that "oh crap it's Friday" thing, but I don't anymore. It's just a way of handling this situation we find ourselves in.

MissHer
Posted: Friday, March 8, 2019 1:52 PM

MrGladd

Don't ever feel bad about that. My son just turned 45 and I can't even imagine him doing this. Do whatever makes you feel better. You sound like a fun person! Don't ever give up your sense of humor.  

Vik
Posted: Friday, March 8, 2019 5:40 PM

Hey ive done clowning too, but hav been diagnosed with early onset dementia so not sure i can do clowning anymore. Mayb at a low-key event with someone that will "keep an eye on me."  Keep on Smiling! Whats ur clown name?
Vik
Posted: Friday, March 8, 2019 5:43 PM

P.S. i luv the user name you chose as it brings a smile to everyone who sees ur nickname!  Have you seen "SmilesYourWay's" postings? I get a kick out of seeing her nickname too. Keep Posting!
mrgladd
Posted: Friday, March 8, 2019 6:19 PM

Thank you, Vik! My clown name is Orange U. Gladd. Hence, mrgladd here since the full name was just too long.
ruthmendez
Posted: Saturday, March 9, 2019 9:23 PM

MissHer wrote:
Lol  Mine was, oh crap it's morning. Time for the daily battle. I don't know how you guys do it. It sounds exhausting. Do you have to get them ready and yourself before work?. Then you come home and get no rest because you need to take care of them. Maybe it's an age thing because I'm in my midish 60's and my mom was fully dependent on me because she couldn't even walk. I had lots more energy 10 years ago.
Deb, I do have a lot of help, but I do take over when I come home and the weekends is all me. But, dad ain't that bad.  I have been called lately the mother f-cker at least 3x now, and now he seems to be confused with if I'm a male or female because I get called son of a b-tch too.  But the name calling is rare.  Yesterday, while my sister took over when I had to drop off the caregiver, she got stuck with changing dad's diaper, and he was angry about that.  I guess he tried to tell her, "I thought you were a beautiful lady...." I guess that was his way of saying, "how dare you?  I thought you were different."  Sometimes he tries kick or there are brief moments where I think he's startled or scared and will try to punch or kick but he doesn't seem to know how to use his strength.  But, Deb, no offense, but my dad is nothing in comparison to your mama.  She really was something else.  That, for sure, I couldn't do it.  She was too hard to handle.  Oh dear.

ruthmendez
Posted: Saturday, March 9, 2019 9:28 PM

Oh, and when I'm called "mother f-cker" it's very clear and in English.  Wow.
MissHer
Posted: Saturday, March 9, 2019 10:42 PM

Getting burned out Ruth? Can't your sister give you a big break, like weeks? This is so exhausting no matter how easy they are. It feels like prison. My mom even said that while taking care of her husband, who had dementia,too. Plus, PWD who are immobile aren't easy.

ruthmendez
Posted: Saturday, March 9, 2019 11:03 PM

I try not to think about it.  He is so healthy so we got years ahead.  My sister wouldn't do it.  Hopefully I stay healthy.