RSS Feed Print
Looking for answers and help
Loving My Dad
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2019 3:57 PM

After 4 back surgeries and 5 years of pain, my dad was diagnosed with VD in January. We have been to many doctors, including the Mayo Clinic, and are still in the dark about what's to come or how to help. My dad also has neuropathy in his legs and is in a motorized wheelchair and seems to get more and more confused by the day. My parents refuse to move to assisted living and refuse to have help. I am trying to help my parents, but have no idea where to turn for answers. What can we expect? How fast does this progress? Are there medications that can help with both things? Thank you for any suggestions you may have.
TessC
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2019 4:22 PM

Sorry you must be here. When the sh#$ hits the fan-your parents will need and will accept help so until then, read all you can about dementia. Dementia is a symptom of VD and Alz and all the other dementia causing brain disease so it's not vital that you only read books about VD. Just read all yu can about caregiving and get a head start on what can be done. Things like giving respite to your mother so she can continue to care for your father for a longer time and in better spirits and health. Also, not expecting your father to do or even know all the things he used to do and know. The brain is changing and with that-his abilities and personality will change. I accepted that with my mother and never made an issue of them with her.

Read Jo Huey's 10 things dementia caregivers need to know: https://amadaseniorcare.com/blog/2019/06/caregiving-for-alzheimers/

Good luck!

Red Kay
Posted: Sunday, September 8, 2019 11:56 AM

My FIL is blind with dementia... Not alot out there
About blind with dementia... So sometimes I'm not sure what to do.

Right now we are dealing with him up at night yelling

His name DOB and ss# ... But he can't remember us

Everything I read to help only works for people who 

Can see and he can't... 

What ca we do to help him???