RSS Feed Print
Sundowning - Help!
Wilsontot
Posted: Sunday, January 8, 2012 7:03 PM

Boy when they named sundowners they sure gave it the right name.  Dad has started experiencing this and its NO fun!  Seems the past couple of weeks a light switch was turned on with his ALZ symptoms and now that we have confirmed diagnosis - seems everything has just come full force! 

I have read some on sundowning and things to do to help like lighting and turning on the tv and stuff.  However - someone mentioned tonight to me that someone had told her that there are some foods that might help.  I haven't tried searching that yet but thought I would ask you folks as well.

I hate that we have to give him Ativan to calm him down - but it helps -now that we have adjusted the dosage.  But just hate seeing him sitting here like he is in a daze.

Thanks and blessings!

Susan

service1
Posted: Sunday, January 8, 2012 7:10 PM

My mom suffers alot from sundowning especially during the fall and winter months due to the seasonal changes.  Everyday like clockwork around 4:45 pm before it starts getting dark she starts crying and gets very anxious and wants to go bed at 5:00 pm.  Sometimes we put her to bed then.  Her doctor prescribed melantonin to aid in her sleeping or sometimes we just try to distract her.  Lately I keep the lights on but I close the shades and blinds and make sure she has her dinner before it gets dark outside otherwise she will not eat for me.

Gook luck to you,

service1
Posted: Sunday, January 8, 2012 7:10 PM

My mom suffers alot from sundowning especially during the fall and winter months due to the seasonal changes.  Everyday like clockwork around 4:45 pm before it starts getting dark she starts crying and gets very anxious and wants to go bed at 5:00 pm.  Sometimes we put her to bed then.  Her doctor prescribed melantonin to aid in her sleeping or sometimes we just try to distract her.  Lately I keep the lights on but I close the shades and blinds and make sure she has her dinner before it gets dark outside otherwise she will not eat for me.

Gook luck to you,

Stephanie Z
Posted: Sunday, January 8, 2012 11:14 PM

There are some interesting studies on light therapy for people with AD. Two things stand out. Use of full spectrum lighting (special bulbs you can purchase similar to plant lights) in the house may help to establish a more regular schedule. Put them on at dusk and turn them off at bedtime. The other suggestion is to try a blue light bulb in a lamp in the bedroom. The blue light tends to calm some people with AD and may help him settle down in the evening before bed.

Hope this helps

Stephanie

Iris L.
Posted: Monday, January 9, 2012 12:23 AM

Stephanie, Cathy JM posted extensively about using light therapy to manage difficult behaviors and sundowning in her partner.  The posts are on the old message board. When they are available, you may want to look at her results.

Iris L.

eloquentsolution1
Posted: Monday, January 9, 2012 3:04 AM

mom has a cannabis script.  she has used seroquil, depekote, but the best with the least side effects and best quality of life is cannabis.
rose_ro
Posted: Monday, January 9, 2012 3:15 AM

Stephanie Z wrote:

There are some interesting studies on light therapy for people with AD. Two things stand out. Use of full spectrum lighting (special bulbs you can purchase similar to plant lights) in the house may help to establish a more regular schedule. Put them on at dusk and turn them off at bedtime. The other suggestion is to try a blue light bulb in a lamp in the bedroom. The blue light tends to calm some people with AD and may help him settle down in the evening before bed.

Hope this helps

Stephanie

Thanks, I'd like to look into this.

My mom never really was sundowning ''much'' in the last year, here at home.  She'd wash the dishes, watch TV.

Now she wants to be in bed at 6 PM. I  know it's partly the surgery, partly being tired from P/t and the new place...

I'm amazed at how many blinds are open in the different areas.  I noticed years ago my mom never wanted people to have their blinds open in the evening.  It bothered her so much with my sister-in-law that she mentioned it to my brother.  i do understand it, people can see in to your house too much.  But I think it's more with her, of course.

In the main dining room, they keep all the blinds up, so I notice the dark a lot more, and the reflections off the windows.  During the day, a lot of sun comes in, but at night - especially where they are - it's kind of strange.

From about the first day, I realized I had to close the blinds in her room.  I also thank God every day that it's getting darker a little later every night,.  Now, it's ''light'' at  5 PM still. 

Wilsontot, do you know the kinds of food that help?  Some that increase melatonin, or???

Service1, that's interesting about the eating.  I noticed the other day that my mom almost won't eat anything after 6 PM.  I got used to eating early some time ago, like before 8 PM, because a doctor suggested eating earlier would help with losing weight.  My mom has been eating dinner at about 5 PM or earlier for some time.  But she'd always have ice cream or pudding if she wanted it later.

I just think she felt ''safer'' at home.  I feel so bad for her!  I wish I could take these bad feelings from her.

Wilsontot
Posted: Monday, January 9, 2012 9:18 AM

No Rose - I don't know of any foods - that is what I was asking as well.  A friend of mine whose mom had AD and passed away several years ago was told about food thing - however, she never researched it since her mom had died.  I am gonna do some research online and see if I can find anything about - if I do - I will share it!

Thanks!

rose_ro
Posted: Monday, January 9, 2012 9:35 AM

You're welcome - but I think you might be interested in foods connected with melatonin production or something like that?  I've seen bananas or things like that. can help...