RSS Feed Print
Biting, pushing and throwing things...
TL
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 6:23 AM

My Mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's about 2 years ago at age 63. She was moved into an Alzheimer's Assisted Living facility in May 2011. She actually asked to move out of her own home and we seized the opportunity. She transition perfectly and the staff was amazed at her cooperation, attitude and personality.

About two months ago, she started showing signs of depression and anxiety. These have now mophed into full blown anger, agition, and combativeness. She bit a staff member when trying to give her meds, she has been ripping pictures off the walls in the common areas, pushing staff away when they approach her, etc.

It was suggested that we move her temporarily to a local hospitals Alzheimer's Behavioral Health Unit to evaluate her and regulate her meds. Day 1 and 2 were great and then the firestorm hit again. She started ramming her body against a door and asking to go home. Day 3-5 I have found her heavily medicated, groggy, incoherent and combative. She has never presented these actions with me before and its a little unsettling. She refused  to eat her dinner with me last night and began throwing her food at me when I tried to feed her, she would take a bite of something and then intentionally let it ooze out of her mouth all while glaring at me. She finally came back to semi-cooperative and ate 90% of her meal unassisted

During the meal (while glaring and scowling at me), even in her incoherent, medicated state she was able to quietly express her dislike for this place (using profanity) and asking to go back home

Has anyone else had experience with such hostility and combativeness. Or the process of regulating meds.

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated This is all very new and confusing for me.

EARchat
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 9:00 AM

TL .. many here have had to hospitalize their Loved Ones to get meds regulated .... I have not been in that position YET ... I am sure it is most difficult and heart wrenching.  It is like being put right into a lead role in a horror movie, with no script and no way out ....

Others will be along here to give you insight, encouragement and recommendations.

Welcome to the boards!  Betty

MLB61
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 10:06 AM

Welcome TL -- It seems reasonable, given her recent behavior, that your mother be evaluated in a geri-psych hospital.  Are you confident that this is a good one?  Do you have a social worker assigned to your mother that you can talk to about their plans for your mother?  Is she also being evaluated medically to see if there are other things going on like a UTI, etc.?  That is important.  

You might want to talk with someone at the Alzheimer's Association 24/7 Helpline at 800-272-3900.  They might be able to give you more insight into your options and treatment possibilities for your mother.  Good luck.

MLB61
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 10:10 AM

TL - Your post ended up with a lot of space at the bottom.  This new website has quite a few bugs in it, not the least of which is paragraphs and spacing.  If you want, you might be able to hit "edit" and delete the extra space.  Don't know if it will work, but might be worth a try.  It makes your thread a bit hard to read.
eloquentsolution1
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 11:24 AM

i went thru the same with mom.
TL
Posted: Saturday, January 14, 2012 11:43 AM

The facility is a good one and one that is used by the Alzheimer's facility is lives at. We had to take her thru the ER before admitting to have a myriad of tests run, no UTI. She she's the social worker on a daily basis for various activities and the Dr 2-3 times per week. I met with our "team" (Dr, RN and social worker on Thursday) to talk about what they have seen, her meds, and the plan of action. I expressed concearn for her being overmedicated and they agreed that its not the way to treat her anger/frustration issues. She has no medical/physical issues beyond the Alzheimer's/Dementia.

Thanks for the feedback.

jlayton
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 10:59 AM

It seems that as the days go on, my Grandmother gets more and more combative with me and my Grandpa. She has taken to locking herself in her office for hours on end, slamming doors throughout the house, throwing things at me, hitting me, swearing at me and Grandpa, refusing to eat, and just being "childish" in general.. It used to be that she would come out of her office after just a few minutes and act as though nothing at all happened. We have learned to deal with her when she has these tantrums, but it is disheartening to see her progress through the disease.  We are looking into getting Grandma a Geriatric Physician who can better monitor her medication, as her current physician says "God will heal her if she's meant to be healed". I feel you though, I've only been taking care of my grandparents for 5 months and every day brings a new struggle. Just hang in there! As the disease progresses, they tend to regress to a more child like state. What helps me is just reading about Alzheimer's and Dementia, and also I used to be a mental health counselor in a group home before I put my life on hold, so I have experience dealing with difficult people.
Stephanie Z
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 6:45 PM

This might well be part of her dementia, but over the time I've cared for people with dementia (20 plus years) there have unfortunately been several cases of abuse of the patients. This is something that is not discussed as much as it should be, but it can be the cause of someone with dementia suddenly becoming combative and agitated. It may be hard to recognize because usually it is one individual, may be even a temp filling in on occasion. All you need is one or two episodes and a person with dementia can become very defensive and combative.

I'm not saying this is the case, but it is something to watch for.

Stephanie