RSS Feed Print
How to tell the difference between "old people brain" and dementia
sharkey
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 7:09 PM

my other grandma is 93 and pretty with-it... except for lately. I traveled with her earlier this year and there were a few off things but nothing serious. 

2 weeks ago she went on a cruise and made friends with the captain and she and the captain decided that his wife and me should do business together.  I've heard this story twice already. So she called me yesterday and I was working and I couldn't talk so I said I couldn't talk and she said "why, are you driving?" and I said "no, I'm working at an event," and I said send me an email with the information because she wants me to mail something to the wife, and I couldn't write it down because I was at work.  

The email I got was "I'm sorry I didn't know you were driving" and then the entire story that she's told me twice on the phone already. 

Is this regular old-person brain where they miss some stuff or is this dementia beginnings?

JAB
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 8:26 PM

Hi, Sharkey.  As a person who has been known to repeat myself on occasion ... well, I wouldn't exactly have a nervous breakdown about this.

You might want to make sure she's had a recent, thorough physical and, if not, encourage her to get one.  She may need a little tweaking of her vitamins, or thyroid hormones, etc.

For more information on what to watch out for, see the 10 warning signs on the Alz Assoc's main website:
http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_10_signs_of_alzheimers.asp
EARchat
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 9:19 PM

She is 93, goes on cruises, meets the Captain, makes business arrangements, AND DOES E-MAIL ????  She sounds pretty with-it to me for 93! 

Betty

sharkey
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 9:38 PM

haha betty - I went on a cruise with her a few months ago, and as much as she "seems" to be self sufficient I felt like I was taking care of a toddler - she couldn't tell the euros apart and likes to pay in exact change so paying for anything takes 3 hours (she also has the russian nesting dolls of purses - so the bus ticket goes inside the envelope, inside the small purse, which is inside another medium purse inside the large purse)  which dangles around her neck as she is haunched over with a cane step by step and then she drops something every 3 steps she takes so I was constantly picking things up off the ground. I have no idea how she manages by herself other than that once she gets on the ship, she's waited on hand and foot. She didn't have to bug the staff as much when I was there - because I was there to get her everything she ever wanted and she didn't have to move an inch. LOL - oh so tiring!  She also cracks a lot of jokes, so people sometimes thinks she has advanced  alzheimers because she'll say wacky things to try and get a rise out of people. 

the meeting of the captain - lets just say she's the queen of brown nosing so she gets free stuff LOL

but yes, all things considered I guess she is pretty with it

Sunrise828
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 9:41 PM

I'm no expert, but it sounds like a good reason to be concerned, however this could be related to a medicine or even a mini stroke. I would talk to her and get her to a doctor appointment and talk to her doctor.

Good Luck.

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 11:08 PM

Does she do FB?  Perhaps Grandma can tutor me.

Check her hearing, too.

Iris L.

Jim Broede
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 2:26 AM

Maybe it's a bit of both. I suspect that everyone's brain power has diminished by the age 93. Maybe even by 83 or 73. --Jim
sharkey
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 3:34 AM

Iris L. wrote:

Does she do FB?  Perhaps Grandma can tutor me. 

Check her hearing, too. 

Iris L. 

haha, she is on facebook but doesn't use it correctly nor does she understand whats appropriate and not appropriate to post and she's SO damn proud of my mom. Every time my mom posts ANYTHING she has to write underneath it how proud she is of her and share a story about when my mom was growing up (embarassing!!!)  It's like she has to caption everything with personal info thats no one's business. 

We got on her case when my brother posted a pic of his 5 year old  daughter and grandma wrote this paragraph "this is my great granddaughter [full name] and she lives  [address] and her brother's name is [full name] and their grandmother is [my mom] and her aunt is  [me] and she goes to [school] and her favorite color is [color] and I'm SO SO proud of their father, my grandson [name] and their grandmother, my daughter!!!!!

and we all freaked out and had to scramble to get it deleted. Hello? DON'T POST INFORMATION ABOUT CHILDREN! SAFETY ISSUE!!!

She'll post a picture of her with friends and caption where she met them and all this weird stuff like she;s writing personal notes to herself in a photo album to remind herself who they are.... except I tell her everyone can read it. 

she also will post something on facebook thats really mundane and then email me to see if I saw it - ]
yes - this is all hilarious and kinda cute.... and embarrassing. god, she's embarrassing! the stuff she posts about my mom, OHHH mom gets so mad!  
Oh well. she's old. people are forgiving when an old person uses facebook. 

Iris - if you want to learn facebook I can teach you. It's really simple. Just make an account and try it out. You'll learn by doing. it's pretty self explanitory.  Some simple etiquette:  When someone does a post  it's a little mini conversation that you can reply to. If someone says "having porkchops for dinner" you can talk about the porkchops or recipes or something related to porkchops, or not respond at all (like the forums). Bad etiquette is when someone says "having porkchops for dinner" and then you post "HI SUZY !! how are you? my husband and I just got back from seeing the kids and heres my life story and I'm sorry I missed your birthday last week give me a call"  

If you want to post something like that, go to the person's wall and start your own post.  same as in a forum. just remember - everyone can read it!

you can message me anytime if you have questions. I think if you sign up you'll see it's pretty simple though - it just looks complicated.