RSS Feed Print
where do you start with hours
birdy
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 7:02 AM

I may have found one person to help out privately but the expense is another thought but we can do some. I just do not know where to start hour wise. Start slow and work up?? My mom is not bad during the day but has some sundowning. So I was thinking later in the day? But if we need to get things done in the house I suppose earlier is better to? How many hours when starting with a new person. I guess its also important not to change anything schedule wise in evenings it will only make my mother confused. She's confused with me there in evenings I wonder what a new person will do??? Any ideas on how to start?
MacyRose
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 8:40 AM

Typically, you have to do 4 hours at least 3 times per week.  But full-time is not unusual either.  It really depends on what you need and can afford.
skericheri
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 1:58 PM

Birdy---Perhaps the best thing for you to do is to start slowly.  Learn from the Private Caregiver the minimum number of hours per visit and the minimum number of days she feels are necessary to make it worth it for her to take on your mother.  Be careful not to spend all of the available money and get stuck with an empty pocket book before things get really tough.

Schedule time when you feel that it would do the most good.  Unless you want the hired caregiver to keep your mother busy while you are cooking dinner, I suggest that you use her to enable you to spend time in the non-alzheimer world and/or accomplish something as simple as taking a shower or nap.

Try to introduce the Caregiver as a friend and avoid giving the impression that she is there to act as a babysitter.  Start out spending time together with both of them.  Maybe do something like going through some pictures or some activity your loved one enjoys.  Ease out of the picture with a light remark...I can see that you are enjoying your company...so...I'll_____________________

If you're lucky a bond will be formed and your loved one will accept the presence of the caregiver whenever she/he appears.