RSS Feed Print
Tonight on "House"
catnap
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 3:52 PM

Tonight on House (Fox channel -- 8:00 Michigan time) the topic according to the tv guide is "Alzheimer 's patient has a bad temper."  This show is pretty crazy most of the time, but I will watch anything where Alz. is the subject.
Teppie
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 5:20 PM

Dr House is crazy! Lol. I love the show. Funny, but the commercials here (Philly area)  doesn't mention AD. Is that the guy who cold cocks the woman in the commercial? I will watch it.
jfkoc
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 5:22 PM

thanks...
cowboys
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 5:27 PM

love that show, thanks for the inf
lesleeb
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 6:00 PM

Thanks. Never saw the show before but I just hit record

Teppie
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 7:03 PM

Opening scene. Would he know he has AD and apologize?
rose_ro
Posted: Monday, January 23, 2012 9:58 PM

catnap wrote:
Tonight on House (Fox channel -- 8:00 Michigan time) the topic according to the tv guide is "Alzheimer 's patient has a bad temper."  This show is pretty crazy most of the time, but I will watch anything where Alz. is the subject.

I almost watched it lol.  But I got so fed up with the show some years ago...around the time Olivia Wilde came on board?  Maybe next go round
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 1:16 AM

My first time watching "House".  Dr. House is apparently a doctor on parole because he wears an ankle tracking bracelet.  Anyway, an EOAD male starts vomitin blood in the medical office.  They bring him into the hospital, and do an endoscopy to search for the cause of the bleeding.  During the procedure a male caregiver enters the room. 

Dr. House correctly surmises that the wife and the make caregiver are intimate.  The wife later admits that she and her LO had only known each other for 6 months before marrying, and he developed AD the following year.  This wasn't what she expected.  

After awakening from the sedation the AD pt punches the wife full fist in the face.  The drs add aggression to his symptomatology.  Later the patient is discovered to have wandered away from his hospital bed; is eventually found comatose and hypothermic in the snow,  He's brought into ICU and his body temp is restored to normal, but pt develops a fever.  The drs warn wife about further brain damage. 

While AD pt is still in a coma, resident drs. talk about pt in front of him, ; they also talk about their own personal childhood traumas.  AD pt awakens, but speaks Portguese.  He speaks beautiful words to Dr. House (who apparently also speaks Portugese), about the first day of meeting the wife, but pt cannot recognize wife when she is standing right in front of him. 

Later pt has a cardiac arrest, is resuscitated, the correct diagnosis is determined, the pt awakens, speaks English, and recognizes his wife. 

The rest of the episode involves Dr. House berating other doctors. 

I went into detail about this storyline to show that the Alzheimer's disease was just a prop for this show.  It was not a sympathetic storyline about AD, it was about how "brilliant" and "misunderstood" Dr. House is.

Iris L.

eloquentsolution1
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:51 AM

Iris L. wrote:

My first time watching "House".  Dr. House is apparently a doctor on parole because he wears an ankle tracking bracelet.  Anyway, an EOAD male starts vomitin blood in the medical office.  They bring him into the hospital, and do an endoscopy to search for the cause of the bleeding.  During the procedure a male caregiver enters the room.   

Dr. House correctly surmises that the wife and the make caregiver are intimate.  The wife later admits that she and her LO had only known each other for 6 months before marrying, and he developed AD the following year.  This wasn't what she expected.   

After awakening from the sedation the AD pt punches the wife full fist in the face.  The drs add aggression to his symptomatology.  Later the patient is discovered to have wandered away from his hospital bed; is eventually found comatose and hypothermic in the snow,  He's brought into ICU and his body temp is restored to normal, but pt develops a fever.  The drs warn wife about further brain damage.   

While AD pt is still in a coma, resident drs. talk about pt in front of him, ; they also talk about their own personal childhood traumas.  AD pt awakens, but speaks Portguese.  He speaks beautiful words to Dr. House (who apparently also speaks Portugese), about the first day of meeting the wife, but pt cannot recognize wife when she is standing right in front of him.   

Later pt has a cardiac arrest, is resuscitated, the correct diagnosis is determined, the pt awakens, speaks English, and recognizes his wife.   

The rest of the episode involves Dr. House berating other doctors.   

I went into detail about this storyline to show that the Alzheimer's disease was just a prop for this show.  It was not a sympathetic storyline about AD, it was about how "brilliant" and "misunderstood" Dr. House is. 

Iris L. 

i left as soon as it appeared it might not be AD.

Kamicobr
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 2:51 PM

ALl I can say is that I was SO happy that a show as successful and viewed as HOUSE, devoted almost an entire episode to YOUNG ONSET FAMILIAL ALZHEIMER'S. As the wife of someone diagnosed at 36, it was a true breakthrough to see a young face finally associated with this disease. I personally thought the story line was true to form and addressed many issues associated with the patient and the caregiver in the beginning stages of this disease. The writer and producer need to be commended for tackling such a difficult subject.
catnap
Posted: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 8:48 PM

I agree, Kami.  It was a fictional story on an episode of House... not a documentary.  I thought they did a decent job of showing some issues that could come up living with EOAD.  As for the rest of the show -- it was House.
Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:05 AM

As a former practicing physician I was appalled at the behavior of the medical staff.  I realize this is a show and presents a certain amount of shock as part as the show.  I was also appalled at the storyline that the male caregiver and the wife of the EOAD patient were having sex.   

No, this wasn't a documentary.  But when I think of the devotion of the spouses and partners of our EOAD LOs, many of whom have very difficult and aggressive behavior, I feel offended by that storyline.   

I couldn't remember the words when I posted, but one of the doctors, I don't remember if it was House, made a statement to the effect that this demented husband should have been put away so that the wife could have her life back.  I didn't care for that depiction of the EOAD patient either.  I hope the public isn't influenced in this way.

All in all, this was a TV show.  I expressed my opinion.  I doubt I will ever watch this show again.  But it does represent a first,  that of representing an EOAD patient.  Now the challenge is to take an EOAD storyline to other shows.  Hopefully more realistic.   I'll look forward to that.

Iris L.   

Teppie
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:36 PM

Iris, 

The show ALWAYS highlights Dr House and his "superior" and cranky intellect. I watched simply to see how EOAD was portrayed. I have no experience with it as my mom was diagnosed at age 68. I watch the show occasionally for the dialogue and interesting diagnoses. It's funny (sometimes) how arrogant one person can be, tv show or not. The actor is originally fom Britain, does a good American accent!

Iris L.
Posted: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 11:07 PM

Teppie wrote:

I watched simply to see how EOAD was portrayed.

Teppie, what did you think?

Iris L.

Teppie
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:21 AM

I don't think it was accurate. If he was basically mute, how would he know he had AD AND apologize. He had had the disease for 10 years?!? BS in my opinion. The opening scene was really the only time they even mentioned/focused on AD. it was peripheral otherwise.