RSS Feed Print
Post Alzheimer's
Teppie
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:29 AM

Will anyone be getting an autopsy to confirm AD diagnosis? I ask because of the genetic component of AD. Do the other dementia's have a genetic risk? I don't know anything about FTD, Lewy Body, or VaD etc. This board "for" AD, but I've seen others whose LO's suffer from the above illnesses. Are the symptoms and behaviors very similar to AD? Or is all dementia similar but caused by different damage/mechanisms?

I know AD can afflict anyone, but I'm concerned bc both sides of my family have suffered from it. 

Thanks for any input

Steph

Angela65
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 8:35 AM

NO i wont be allowing a autopsy. But im also not against it . It falls under personal choice. Since you have a family history it may be beneficial, in my case however my mom is 1 of 7 children and the only 1 to get it.I still personally think that hers was from a head injury when she bumped her head in 1st car accident they say it can cause it to progres,
Myriam
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 12:18 PM

Teppie wrote:

Will anyone be getting an autopsy to confirm AD diagnosis? 

I agreed to give my brain (after death, of course :)) laughing) to DIAN (Dominantly Inherited Alzheimer's Network), though once a year they get to poke around it while I'm still alive. :D big grin If you and your LO's family are not opposed to giving your LO's brain for research... which I believe will help find a cure...you might find a respected AD research organization who will agree to give you the diagnosis at no charge. 

SadinHeart
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 1:01 PM

I asked my father's neurologist about doing an autopsy on my dad and he said that because he started having this at age 80, it was more related to age and that we should not be worried. My mom also has it and she started a 79. Nobody in either part of the family has ever hard it.
Teppie
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 1:32 PM

I don't know my dads thoughts. I have considered donating my body to a teaching hospital. But, of course, they have to wait another 100 years...        

skericheri
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 1:39 PM

Charlie's passed so peacefully that I did not want to disrupt the sereneness of the moment by ordering an autopsy.  I did notice that Alzheimer's was listed as the official cause of death.  
Iris L.
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:02 PM

Teppie wrote:
 This board "for" AD, but I've seen others whose LO's suffer from the above illnesses. Are the symptoms and behaviors very similar to AD? Or is all dementia
Steph, these boards are for those affected by Alzheimer's disease and the related dementias that you mentioned, Lewy Body dementia, Fronto-temporal lobe dementia, vascular dementia and others.  My own diagnosis is cognitive impairment nos, not otherwise specified.  Some members are diagnosed as MCI, mild cognitive impairment, not yet  to the level of dementia.
Iris L.

Teppie
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 7:57 PM

Thank you, Iris!
JAB
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 8:20 PM

Teppie, we'll be having a brain biopsy, not because of any genetic risk (the inherited form of early-onset AD is very rare) but because my husband is in a study at the university.

If I recall correctly, behavioral variant FTD is more likely to be inherited than AD (in terms of percentage of patients with the disorder):

http://www.theaftd.org/frontotemporal-degeneration/genetics

There is so much overlap of the symptoms that may develop in the different dementias that it is impossible to make a solid diagnosis on the basis of symptoms alone. 

And the more that we learn about dementias, the more we discover that there may be mixed pathologies.  VaD plus AD is so common that it's called "mixed dementia," for example.  Many researchers studying Alzheimer's believe it can be broken into two major subtypes, with and without Lewy body pathology.  (My husband's geri and I have a lively difference of opinion as to whether he has LBD or AD with LB pathology.  I will be interested in seeing what the biopsy determines.)

Teppie
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 9:03 PM

Thank you, JAB. When my mom was diagnosed, I started reading about AD. I know nothing about the "other" dementias.
Iris L.
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 9:14 PM

Teppie, I was a pediatrician and I knew nothing about the "other" dementias until I joined this site.  I had heard of Crutzfield-Jacob disease, which is like mad cow disease in humans.  We were taught (back in the 1970s) that it was due to cannibalism.  I really don't know what the current thinking is about this disease.

Iris L.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 9:18 PM

JAB, I wonder what criteria your husband's study used to justify doing a brain biopsy on him.  What information are they looking for?

Iris L.

JAB
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 6:41 PM

Iris, it's kind of hard to explain.  Basically, we go through two days' testing every year.  They're tracking the symptoms and behaviors that develop, both what they can observe by testing my husband and what I can tell them via extensive interviewing.  This is a very big study, being conducted at ADRCs throughout the country.  Long-term goals:  developing ways to predict which symptoms will develop on the basis of the way the disease is progressing (and age and gender and so on and so forth), predict longevity, predict which patients will respond better to what drugs at different points in the progression, do a better job of diagnosing the dementia that may be involved, and so on and so forth.  They're looking for patterns.

Anyway, of course, they do need to know exactly what dementia(s) the test subjects have for the data crunching to end up being valid. 

Iris L.
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 9:21 PM

JAB, I hope the study will find out sufficient information to help future patients due to your husband's brain biopsy!  Good luck to him!

Iris L.