RSS Feed Print
Taking Dad to Gastro Dr. OUT of the ?
cowboys
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:47 AM

Well we had dad scheduled for an appt at Gastro tomorrow but thank God mom called today and told them she didn't not want him put under and they said they would be giving him Prophanol ...uh no way! He is Stage 6, could you imagine what that would do..omg. They said the procedure was painful (scope for rectal exam) He has been complaining of his bottom hurting. Guess the Dr or RN at his care home will have to give him Preparation H or something stronger.

I just shudder at the thought that he would be given that strong stuff. It sure pays to call ahead!!!

lesleeb
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:10 PM

It sure does...! Hope all goes well. Please let us know when you can.
cowboys
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 12:09 PM

ttt Stephanie Z, hoping you could respond and perhaps give a suggestion to how to handle my dad's pain. We certainly do not want him put under at Stage 6. Is there any alternative test that would show what is causing so much pain in his bottom?
Nikki J
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 12:52 PM

Hi DJ

I could not tell from this and your previous thread? Has he been examined by his primary doctor? (Really examined the area  clothes off lying in bed on his side)If not you should insist on it. I noted you commented that he had a negative xray of tailbone and he had fallen. Even without a break a tailbone injury can hurt a lot and can hurt for up to 6 months. Obviously the way you would approach that would be different that a rectal issue. If he was having pain from internal hemorrhoids I would expect it to increase significantly when he has a bowel movement. Do you know if it does?

Good luck it is miserable to see them suffer

love

Nicole

JAB
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 1:31 PM

Kim, can you tell us a little more about the pain?  Frequency, how long it lasts, does there seem to be anything that triggers it, can he describe where it is ... ?

The reason I ask is that there's something called a "levator ani syndrome" which is ... yow. (I just saw it described on another forum as being "like a charlie horse in your calf, but it's in your butt and shoots straight up, like lightening".  Yep.)  It's pretty hard to diagnose, since there isn't anything to "see".  Hemorrhoidal treatments (Prep H etc) are ineffective.  Hot baths or lying on a heating pad, muscle relaxants, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories, and/or internal massage may be effective.  Walking or pelvic exercises may help some patients.

Nikki J
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 5:30 PM

Hi again KIM!

I just realized i called you DJ. I am so sorry!!! Having a bad day lucky I am not working today  too distracted!

love

Nicole

cowboys
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 6:20 PM

JAB thank you ever so much..I googled this "pain in the butt" levator syndrome and it really does sound like dad. You are just so smart, I have never heard of this ever! At least it gives us another prospect to look into. Yes, dad can articulate exactly where this pain is and its been going on about a month. I always thought his obsession to go to the bathroom was because of the diuretic's but urgency to urinate is one of the symptoms of this levator ari syndrome. omg..another thing to figure out!

Nikki..no worries about calling me DJ  We have all done this before with our scattered brains. Thanks for your response.

JAB
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 7:00 PM

Some of us have first-hand experience.    Give me hemorrhoids over levator syndrome any day.  Fortunately, mine just kind of went away after a while.

I'd see if the hot baths (20min, several times a day) and/or heating pad help.  That's easy enough to do.

Iris L.
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 8:22 PM

The levator ani are muscles that surround the anus and help keep a bowel movement inside you.  I never heard of that syndrome but it probably develops after straining at bowel movements and constipation.  In addition to those treatments JAB suggested, a stool softener would probably help. It would also be important for the dementia patient to have regular access to the toilet to prevent delaying the evacuation impulses. 

Iris L.

Raven
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 10:55 PM

Oh I hope that your poor Dad gets some relief soon.  Nice warm soak in the tub,,followed by a nice warm hot pad,,hopefully can help. I think the fact that he's sitting on his bottom all the time for such long periods,,doesn't help. I think if they could lay your Dad on his side in his bed for at least an hour a couple times a day,,may also help to relieve pressure and soreness on the rectal muscle. And maybe it would be helpful if they had a "male aide" that could do the assisting with your Dad,,perhaps he'd feel alot more comfortable with that "man to man" assistance for the lower extremeties,,rather than a female aide. Keep us posted,,hope the poor man gets feeling better ASAP. Peace
dj okay
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 11:10 PM

Kim, I'm not sure how easy it would be to diagnose that condition in your dad, with his dementia.  But I have this problem myself, have had for a couple decades at least.  I have taken a drug called nulev, which is an anti-spasmatic.  It is a sub-lingual form, dissolved under the tongue, and works very quickly.  If you could get your dad diagnosed, this seems like it would be a simple solution to his pain, since it could be administered immediately and it works in just a few minutes.

It is very painful.  So I can understand if that's his problem.

cowboys
Posted: Sunday, January 29, 2012 9:54 AM

Oh thanks so much DJ we will talk to the doctor about this. I am learning so much about this condition that I never even heard of before. Dad is really awful about getting his bath and Raven they do have a male aid on the other wing that might be able to come help with the whirlpool bath.

In SNF they cannot use electric heating pads because of risk of burn. Mom has a consultation with dad's dr on Thursday so hopefully we will get it taken care of. I can't stand that dad is in this pain. They did order Ultram yesterday for his pain.

JAB
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2012 1:08 PM

They should be able to use an old-fashioned hot water bottle.
dj okay
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2012 8:27 PM

I also have a small heat therapy bag (I think it has flax seed inside).  I can heat it in the microwave in less than a minute and apply to the area.  It helps to relax the muscles.