RSS Feed Print
Wetting
Daughterinlawhurting
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 4:02 PM

I have been caring for MIL for 6 years now. She has had UTF (uraniary track infection) not sure if UTI is right for short. She always showed signs of having one.

For the last three days no difference in her behavior at all. But, last three days, when she gets up to go to bathroom, she wets herself all the way to bathroom. First time had to put something on her, she was upset her pants kept getting wet. So, had to problem having her put pullup on for me. Should I call dr monday to test for UTF? Any help would be greatly helped ..

JAB
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 4:17 PM

Sudden-onset urinary incontinence should be checked into.  It could be a UTI, but it could be something else.  I'm not so sure I'd wait.  Do you have Urgent Care where you are?
trussell
Posted: Friday, January 27, 2012 11:06 PM

I'm also helping to care for my MIL.  She also has been having a hard time making it to the bathroom in time.  I tried to get her to wear some Poise pads.  I don't know if she doesn't remember that she has them or of she just doesn't want to wear them.  I didn't think about a UTI.  I think she would have said something about that if it were the case though.  She was a nurse, and is not far enough gone yet that she wouldn't be able to tell.

Hope you get yours figured out!

Krystle
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 2:03 AM

Hello,

My rule of thumb for my grandmother and her incontinence and somewhat frequent UTIs is that any change should be looked into further. Which, sounds almost ridiculous because she "changes" every day. But, there is some basic consistency there you know?. E.g- when she's really lethargic, not just tired or starts to mumble I know there's probably something going on.

If she does become even more incontinent over the coming months, I'd be on extra alert for more UTIs (if urine can more easily come out, bacteria can more easily go in) which sometimes are worse than just a doctor's visit and antibiotics. After my Gran's major one last year that required hospitalization, we really started to see the alzheimer's. I think the trauma of the hospital and rehab disoriented her even more and caused it to come on full force.

Best of luck,

Krystle

JAB
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2012 2:13 PM

trussell wrote:

I'm also helping to care for my MIL.  She also has been having a hard time making it to the bathroom in time.  I tried to get her to wear some Poise pads.  I don't know if she doesn't remember that she has them or of she just doesn't want to wear them.  I didn't think about a UTI.  I think she would have said something about that if it were the case though.  She was a nurse, and is not far enough gone yet that she wouldn't be able to tell.

Hope you get yours figured out!

Hi, trussell.  Just noticed your post.  UTIs can be what we call "silent", in that they do not cause a burning sensation or a fever or discolored urine.  They can still wreak havoc with our loved ones' symptoms.  So I wouldn't count on your MIL being able to tell she has a UTI.

Daughterinlawhurting
Posted: Monday, January 30, 2012 4:19 PM

Tussell, I also have to agree with JAB last time she had one had no signs other than the difference in her behavior. Took her today no UTI, so she sent it to lap incase, and took blood for her tyroid which has caused her behavior problems, in the past.

I so hope they figure this out. Her behavior is sooo werid scares me..