RSS Feed Print
Not eating solid foods
NoniC
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 10:18 AM

My 88 year old mother is in stage 6 or 7. She is incontinent, barely talking, walks a little in Merry Walker, and not able to recognize anyone. In the last three months she has lost about 30 pounds and is not eating solid foods. She eats liquids, including a milkshake the nursing home feeds her, which we assume is a protein drink. She is under hospice care and we do not want to stop the dying process. My question is, how long is she likely to survive? Also, anything we should be doing to ease her suffering (if she is suffering) during this time.
AlphaLeah
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 10:28 AM
There is no way of knowing for sure, of course, but research I've read indicates that once our LO becomes immobile/bed-bound, they generally live less than a year. For my grandmother, it was 8 months.
MacyRose
Posted: Sunday, February 19, 2012 10:51 AM

Noni,

There is no way to predict how long your mom will live at this point.

Once your mom stops taking liquids, she will most likely die within 6 to 14 days. 

"The dying person may experience reduced appetite and weight loss as the body begins to slow down. The body doesn't need the energy from food that it once did. The dying person may be sleeping more now and not engaging in activities they once enjoyed. They no longer need the nourishment from food they once did. The body does a wonderful thing during this time as altered body chemistry produces a mild sense of euphoria. They are neither hungry nor thirsty and are not suffering in any way by not eating. It is an expected part of the journey they have begun."

http://dying.about.com/od/thedyingprocess/a/process.htm