RSS Feed Print
Mom's Birthday
cindyannie
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2012 10:19 AM

Today is my mom’s 85th birthday and with that come mixed feelings.  It’s quite a milestone for anyone, but is it a good milestone or not?  She was diagnosed about 10 years ago with Dementia and probably had it for a year or two prior to that.  She is now in a Alzheimer’s facility (for about 5 years) and still seems to be cheerful most of the time, with the help of antipsychotic drugs, and anti-depressants.  She is on about 14 different medications.  Alzheimer’s drugs are not among them as we felt that after 10 years on them, they were no longer doing anything.  My mom has recently acquired the need for a wheelchair when she has to go out and has developed seizures in the last 6 months.  Another medication L  But, she is still with us in some form.  So, on this day I will honor her and be grateful to have her in my life, even though she is not the mom I used to know.  And at the same time, I will continue to question whether treating all her illnesses and extending her life is a positive thing or not.  Thank God, it is not really my choice when her time is up.  I do find solace in the fact that most days she is happy, still knows I am a family member of importance (sometimes I’m the mom and sometimes I am the daughter) and she still loves her sweets and will so enjoy the cupcakes I am taking her for her birthday.  Please put my mom in your thoughts today as she celebrates this milestone with us! 

Jim Broede
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2012 11:54 AM

I like your positive attitude. It's very refreshing. --Jim