RSS Feed Print
Life: Silent. Soft. Soothing.
Jim Broede
Posted: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 8:57 AM

The landscape has changed. Suddenly, all is white. A 3-inch layer of heavy, wet snow. Snow that clings to the branches. Especially on the fir trees. Limbs drooped. Weighted down. The last day of February. Minnesota white. Which means the scene will be around for only a day or two. Maybe only a few hours. I like it. The cleanliness, the freshness, the magnificence of it all. And soon I will clear the driveway. And breathe the crisp, damp air. Spring. Spring. Spring is coming. New life. But I'm in no hurry. Because even in the bleak beauty of winter, there is life. Silent. Soft. Soothing. --Jim
SensibleShoes
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 3:10 PM

Jim,

Thank you for this beautiful post.  It brought a tear to my eye and a yearning in my heart.  I'm from Northern Utah, where the snow is plentiful, but have lived in Southern Nevada for the last three winters.  I miss the scene and feeling you so eloquently described.  I really needed that today.  Thank you.

Denise

Waiting for a cure
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2012 5:57 PM

I also appreciate your post, Jim.  I used to live in Colorado.  I miss the snow, though I don't miss driving in it.  
I liked when I awoke in the morning, when it had snowed overnight.  The bright white would show through the curtains as bright as sunlight.  The blanket of snow that softens the landscape is so beautiful, and your words have done it justice like the great landscape artists.  
The clean smell too, yes!  I never knew that air could smell so good.  To me, it smells the way Perrier tastes.   And when I'm out in the cold clean air long enough, a fire in a fireplace, warmth inside the house, and the complex aromas of the firewood are soooo good.