RSS Feed Print
Importance of keeping documents handy
dutiful deb
Posted: Sunday, April 8, 2012 10:33 PM

Mom fell at my house and I had to call 911. I had the necessary list of her meds, and if needed I would have been able to produce other documents as well. 

I am thankful to the ones on this site who stress the importance of having the proper documents so that in an emergency we're more prepared.

For a long time I struggled with wondering if I was doing "the right thing" in taking control of certain areas of my mom's life, but I plunged ahead anyway. I'm glad I did. The guilt I felt then pales in comparison to the relief I feel now.

deeptime dreamer
Posted: Monday, April 9, 2012 8:22 AM

I carry copies of my POA documents (medical and durable/financial)  in my purse at all times.  Don't leave home without them.  

I also keep my suitcase semi-packed, along with a note telling me what I need to pack for an emergency run.  (socks, pants, etc... so I don't forget anything) 

KML
Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:53 AM

I've been doing this for many years, having a current and updated list of my dad's meds with me at all times in my wallet.  When the ambulance came for my dad at his home, I was able to quickly give the paramedics the list.  They were very grateful to have it.  I have found that each time I take my dad to Kaiser, they ask me what medications he is on.  They have it in the computer, but sometimes distressingly enough, it's not accurate, so I have my medication list and a copy of my dad's POLST in my wallet wherever I go.  It is very important.
King Boo
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:25 AM

I keep a grab and go binder, with all Dad's documents, all business cards of people involved with Dad's care, current medication list, medical history, POA, medical POA, funeral home info. etc.  the clear sleeve with slots for the business cards is especially helpful, easier than on a Blackberry when you are in a crisis.
KML
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:09 AM

KingBoo:

Me, too.  I have a small binder with plastic sleeves that hold business cards and other documents like his medication list and POLST.  I used to carry a big heavy binder everywhere I went in my backpack, got too heavy.  So now I have this much smaller binder, easier on my back and I carry just the necessary documents.  Must be prepared for anything.

dutiful deb
Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:19 AM

Good ideas! I like the grab and go binder idea. I have a little accordian style that's about the size of a wallet, advertised as a coupon organizer, which  I think I'll start using instead of just envelopes. 

I have a "memo" function on my phone, and I have a small paper notepad in my purse,  that I  use to jot down things like her vitals at the doctor's office or any new or worsened symptom she's been showing.