RSS Feed Print
Why can't mama eat certain meats
one daughter
Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 6:35 PM

She used to could eat any & every kind. Now she has a hard time w/pork chops & hamburger meat, & even chicken. I no the pork isn't tough cause I bake it for 1 hour & 45 minutes. I don't even try fried pork chops anymore. The chicken was in dumplings & I know it wasn't tough. She just chews & chews & chews on it. Why doesn't she swallow? If she can swallow the veggies,  pasta, crackers, chocolate, why not the meat???
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 6:49 PM

One daughter, if your mom has trouble with swallowing, don't give her foods that are difficult for her to swallow, i.e. meat.  Swallowing difficulties can result in choking and aspiration into the lungs and subsequent aspiration pneumonia, which can be fatal.

She may be able to handle the texture of scrambled eggs.  You will have to see.

Iris L.

one daughter
Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 7:39 PM

Iris thank you. She just spits it out, I guess after she gets all the flavor out of it.   She can still eat fish & oysters. No steak either. Tried the scrambled eggs, she won't eat them, not even if I put cheese in them. But she loves poached eggs. I don't think she ever had a poached egg til the CG started working for us. Daddy used to make her ham & cheese omelets. But she won't eat that now.  She has no difficulty swallowing anything else. Is it bad not to give her meat? I feel like I'm depriving her of things she used to love.
Iris L.
Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 7:54 PM

Meat is too dangerous to give a compromised person because it is so easy for them to choke in just a few seconds.  You would have to give the Heimlich maneuver, and it might not work.  Read about cafe heart attacks.  These mimic heart attacks but are really aspiration episodes of usually middle-aged men in restaurants choking on steaks.

Personally, I would not risk it.

Can you chop the meat into fine pieces so that they are not large enough to choke on, like ground meat for a taco?

Iris L.

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 7:57 PM

Have you given your mother Glycerna/Boost? That would be an easy way to give her some protein.
Bubbily
Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 9:36 PM

If you are worried about the protein from meat, you can try this trick.

When my daughter was about 5 or 6 she stopped eating meat because my idiot ex was watching a show about slaughter houses and let her watch.

Anyway, I learned to love my food processor-- I could puree meat intoi all into sauces and soups-- she never knew.   So, you could puree the chicken into the broth from chicken and dumplings and she could eat it much better. 

Good Luck with this.

Another thought- could there be a dental problem that causes pain when chewing meats? 

one daughter
Posted: Wednesday, February 5, 2014 7:45 AM

I have not tried Boost. Thank u. The meat was ground may in a lasagna type dinner.  Thank you all for sharing.
mems2al
Posted: Wednesday, February 5, 2014 10:39 AM

It's been about 8 months since my mom has eaten meat. She won't eat even the tiny pieces of chicken in cream of chicken soup or chicken noodle soup.  I have to feed her and if I miss a piece and she gets a bite with the chicken in it, she's done. Won't take another bite. Her doctor told me not to worry about it at this point,  to feed her whatever I can get her to eat. Some days she won't eat anything and some days I can get a few bites into her. She does drink a lot of milk. My husband and I used to use a gallon of milk about every 10 days, now I buy 3 gallons every Monday.
one daughter
Posted: Thursday, February 6, 2014 7:54 AM

Last nite she ate the baked chicken, stuffing, & cream corn just fine. I need to make a list of things she can eat real good. Thank you all for your words of wisdom.
CodyW
Posted: Thursday, February 6, 2014 8:20 AM

My goodness, reading your post made my stomach growl.  You sound like an awesome cook!!  Just another thought about your mom's budding vegetarianism:  additional protein can be added to her diet with tofu, by blending powdered whey or soy protein into drinks, and with beans & rice combinations.
Jo C.
Posted: Thursday, February 6, 2014 10:45 AM

I'm with Cody - I'm coming to your house for dinner!

My mother began to develop some food issues and in the beginning, the issues came and went; but as time went on they became more frequent and then were permanent.   Her issues also began with eating meats.

One thing I would think may be important to think about is that very often our Loved One can develop swallowing issues and textures of certain foods contribute to our LOs sensations of this. 

What is really important to remember is that our Loved Ones often develop, "silent aspiration" of foods and there will be no coughing or choking, but the food can "go down the wrong way," or other problems surface and can be serious.

If this reappears or continues, you may want to have the doctor order a swallow exam for your mother.  Nothing will touch her and nothing hurts her.  She simply sits on a guerney with a fluoroscope in front of her like a TV screen.  While the Speech Therapist (that is who runs the tests), feeds her applesauce, pudding, bits of cracker and water, the therapist can visualize on the fluoroscope in real time, the mouth, teeth, tongue and swallowing.  I was in the room when this was done for my mother; it is fascinating.

If there are any swallow issues, the therapist can then prescribe various solutions of be of assistance.  It is so important to avoid that silent aspiration dynamic.

My mother eventually had to have all meats blenderized until they were soft consistencey; this she could handle, but any other meat not put through the blender, she had difficulty with.

You sound like a marvelous cook; everyone must look forward to mealtime!

Johanna

VKB
Posted: Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:00 PM

At some point you may want her to have a swallowing test.
sallyb
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 3:30 PM

This is my first post.  just joined today because it took me forever to figure out how to join!

anyway, my mom is late stage and was previously pocketing food and spitting it back out for sometime if she did not like the texture.  also swishing liquids around her mouth before swallowing.  

recently she has had a sudden decline - we went to all puree and esp. baby food for the past 2-3 weeks along with boost and ensure.  the past 2-3 days she says she wants to eat and will take the food in her mouth and then may eat 2 spoons fulls and after that spits it all back out.  will take a mouth full of boost, swish and spit it out.

how and what do i get her to eat???

what does everyone thing or a peg tube for eating when she is late stage??  i do not want to prolong her confusion, etc but i feel like i am watching her starve,  help.

Mimi S.
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 3:38 PM

Hi Sally,

Welcome to our world. We're so glad you joined us.

Have you thought of calling in Hospice. If there is more than one where you live, be sure to interview them before you decide. You and your mom will receive so much comfort as well as information from them.

When one is at the final stages, the body is shutting down and not as much food is required. As an Alzheimer's patient myself, I'm against any type of tubal feeding. Just make me comfortable.

one daughter
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 5:45 PM

A swallowing test. Can her primary Dr perform one? She swallows most of her food good.
CodyW
Posted: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 9:13 PM

Her primary care physician can order the swallowing test.  A speech and language pathologist usually performs the test.
bela
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:15 AM

As bubbily suggested, pureed meat added to soups and sauces (speghetti sauce included), stews, 

don't forget the lentils and other beans that I believe have protein or, adding protein powder to foods?  (I now nothing about protein powder except that it exists)--

Ensure? Each drugstore has their brand of ensure called by their/different name and they are alot less expensive...lots of sugar I believe so control intake

Diets need to be varied and it sounds like you are attempting very well to do just that....

I am not an expert but lets say you make soup and add pork chops to the soup and cook for hours...isn't the pork protein going into the broth of the soup?  If not, then puree but ensure there are no chunks...some machines do a great job others not so good.

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-highest-in-protein.php

Stassi
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:21 AM

Welcome to our world!!!!
lesleeb
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 7:42 AM

My mom has difficulty with some meats too. She has had two swallow tests and thankfully all the mechanisms in her throat are fine. As we age, it's harder for folks to produce saliva while they're chewing certain foods, making it difficult to swallow. Meat is one of them. Adding a moistness (gravy, sauce, etc) and cutting it very small can help.
one daughter
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:00 AM

We are chopping her food up finely. But it seems like she just chews it up long enough to get the flavor out of it & then spits it out.

Stassi, I've been in this horrible world of alz since 2006, when mama was first diagnosed. Then my daddy had a stroke on 2010 & suffered w/VaD. I lost him in March of last year. So I've been here fir a long time.