RSS Feed Print
Medicaid application help
​NorthWoods
Posted: Thursday, December 1, 2016 6:03 PM

l have been collecting the documents needed for my lo's Medicaid application.  What has me spinning is trying to sort out exactly what benefits are out there, which he may qualify for, and how they intersect.  I realize that this varies by state but has anyone got a suggestion for how best to sort this?  Do I just complete as best I can and then talk to dhhs or is there a better way to go in fully prepared.  I have an elder law attorney helping me with some other things but it is quite expensive to have them work through this - if they even can.  My lo has dementiaand an acquired brain injury and there seem to be overlapping programs.  I know he will qualify, I just want to make sure I take best advantage of the options.

P.s.  I spent my professional life making sense of complex contracts but my state's web sites make no sense and wrap themselves around in circles so not much help there.....

Don't need answers, just a direction to go for help sorting this. 

Thanks

Patience70
Posted: Thursday, December 1, 2016 7:49 PM

North woods, I feel your pain.

I just received Medicaid approval for my DH, effective 12/1, and I STILL don't know what I'm doing. The approval came through last week, with a letter that stated I should call the Enrollment Broker to get my DH enrolled in the program.

Like you, I have a very good background of working with ERISA law, 401(k) regulations, Treasury rules, etc, etc. I have tried to research Medicaid from various online sources, and cannot decipher the ins and outs of the program!

When I called to enroll DH, I still had received not one thing in the mail describing the program. I was told by the enrollment broker that my DH now has to enroll in MMC, Managed Medical Care, and in a second program, LTC, Long Term Care. There are different carriers for each program. 

The carrier I wanted for LTC, I was told, was "full" and could not accept additional patients, so I chose a secondary carrier.

Now I am just waiting to get SOMETHING in the mail. It's a mystery to me.

Sandy

​NorthWoods
Posted: Thursday, December 1, 2016 9:06 PM

Well, at less I know I am not alone.  I am going to make a few phone calls tomorrow and see if I can find someone that can talk me through some of this.  I can handle the application (although 60 months is one heck of a long time to recreate).  I just wish I could figure out what all the options were so I could speak with some confidence - and not short him on any help he may be able to get.
Tink4495
Posted: Thursday, December 1, 2016 11:36 PM

I would suggest that you call your local office who handles the Medicaid program and set up an appointment in person. They will be able to tell you what supporting documents you will need to provide and what benefits he will be entitled to.