RSS Feed Print
Declining joint flexibility normal? Suggestions?
​NorthWoods
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 7:27 PM

my husband’s dementia is largely attributed to brain injury so I don’t know if this is a question applicable to others but I need to ask it anyway. My husband has entered stage 6 but he is still active. He still goes outside to push snow around and occasionally even gets on the elliptical for  short sessions. In recent months however he doesn’t seem able to twist his ankles or wrist. For example when I hand him meds he only turns his hand half way - not palm up. His ankles are the same if he wants to see the bottom of his foot or even point his toes to get boots on.   Is this typical? Is there anything that can be done yo help it?   Thanks, as always.
His Daughter
Posted: Tuesday, December 26, 2017 10:42 PM

Rigidity of the limbs is quite common.  We did daily movement exercises to help keep things as flexible as possible. But as the disease progressed, it seemed to take over.  Your husband's movement and the things he is still doing are quite impressive for stage 6.  I just know that my father couldn't have done those things at that point in the disease process.    

​NorthWoods
Posted: Wednesday, December 27, 2017 10:52 AM

Thanks. He was very athletic his entire life so his abilities astound even the doctors, but they are fading away.  I’m going to have to get him new boots that we can get on more easily.  So sad to watch.