RSS Feed Print
Trust
Andy61
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2019 8:14 AM

Several times each day, I catch myself staring at nothing. I assume I catch myself right away, but how do I really know if I was staring off long before I became aware? I rarely trust my own memory. Speaking of trust, how many have friends or family members you completely trust? I have one, my wife. In her, I have complete 100 percent trust. Others, not so much as many have hidden agendas I dont have the time to find out what they are. So Im more than content to trust the one Im with till death do us part.

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2019 9:08 AM

Andy, I was thinking along these lines the past few days. After my MRI "failure" I had a meltdown very close to right after my husband died. It came to me that I lost my wingman. He was the one person I could trust with all of me. There is no one person left with whom I will do that....every weakness, every mean thought, every shortcoming. There is no one person left that I can totally rely on. It is not so much that they may have an agenda but that they are not committed.

I think that you and I are lucky....some have no one.

Andy61
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2019 9:40 AM

Thanks for your response JFKOC. I like that you used “wingman” to describe your relationship with your husband, because that is exactly how I feel about my wife. Im a very protective person, especially with my wife. It pains me to think the roles could soon become reversed when she becomes my protector. But, life goes on, and today will be a good day as we drive 2.5 hours to Grants Pass Or, just to get a burger from “In and Out”. We need some away time from my daughter and 5 year old granddaughter who live with us, and unfortunately causing stress most days.
jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2019 10:23 AM

It must be a beautiful drive as well or that is toooooo far for a burger.

You and your wife are  "wingmen in common". She will think nothing of picking up the slack as needed. To care for you means the world to her too.

ruthmendez
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2019 10:44 AM

I don't even trust myself!  Anyway, I hope you have a great day Andy.  Eat an extra two burgers for me, eh?
Andy61
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2019 11:02 AM

Thanks Ruth. Change of plans for todays burger run - cancelled. I looked at the road trip traffic cams, and snow and ice are on the roads in some places, so we will find a safer location to drive to.

We love going on drives, so 2.5 hours for a burger might seem odd, but for us, its more about alone time than the actual distance. Prior to moving to Oregon 2 years ago, we drove from NC to Oregon 7 roundtrips. Thats a lot of alone time together, and never once had a fight.

jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2019 11:39 AM

we made many road trips....here and overseas...loved it..... you can be quiet or sing or chat and you can stop when you want
Andy61
Posted: Saturday, February 16, 2019 11:53 AM

If I were to sing, I would not of been able to claim no fighting between us....

Yes, we love driving down the long interstate roads, enjoying the scenery. Riding in silence, or putzing on the IPAD, or listening to satellite radio, all options to pass the time on long days.

I have complete trust if someday Im not able to drive for a long distance, she will still take me on  road trips, with her doing all the driving, and me driving her crazy....lol

Andy61
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2019 10:27 AM

Yesterday, we ended up driving to Salem Oregon to visit the Oregon State Hospital Mental Health Museum, which was built around 1880. Very interesting to see how folks with dementia were treated, which was mainly locked away. This Hospital is also where they filmed the entire movie “one flew over the cuckoos nest.

Speaking again about trust, while touring yesterday, I noticed my wife was taking notes in certain sections of the facility. Then, I woke up this morning and noticed a hand drill on her bedside with a paper on how to conduct a lobotomy......

Life is still good, memory is bad, but still able to do whatever I want with little assistance.

dutiful deb
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2019 12:36 PM

Andy,

Sounds like you had a wonderful day. My husband and I take similar road trips, and have been to the State Hospital Museum in Salem. It's a fascinating place; from my perspective as someone who works with children and families, I was struck by the number of children who were in residence, and what a drastic difference there is between then and now in how their needs are addressed. 

Did you also visit the memorial there? That was a highlight of the visit for me. 

ruthmendez
Posted: Sunday, February 17, 2019 6:11 PM

Andy61 wrote:

Speaking again about trust, while touring yesterday, I noticed my wife was taking notes in certain sections of the facility. Then, I woke up this morning and noticed a hand drill on her bedside with a paper on how to conduct a lobotomy......

Oh boy....I'm sure she just came back from some minor handy work and fell asleep....gulp

chrisp1653
Posted: Monday, February 18, 2019 11:52 PM

You know, speaking of the hand drill, when I was a boy, I managed, all by myself, to drill a hole with my dad's hand drill. The only problem was that the hole I drilled was in my foot. I can't address the hardness of Andy's head, but I can say that a foot is pretty doggone easy to drill. Now you  understand how it is that I am scarred for life.