RSS Feed Print
Life is a beach
Andy61
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 9:45 AM

I grew up in Orange County CA, so I spent most summer days at Huntington or Newport beach. I love the smell of the ocean, and the cool breeze.

We spent last night in Portland and this morning my wife has her semi annual follow up for her Multiple Sclerosis. Afterwards, we are driving 120 miles to Newport OR, for a 2 night get away weekend. The hotel is on the beach with an excellent view of the ocean, and the sounds of the waves breaking will put me to sleep tonight.

We have our 26 year old daughter and her 5 year old daughter living with us, so this weekend is a sanity zone for us. The stress can get high in our house which makes my cognitive issues worse at times, so it will be good to just be us.

Any other beach lovers out there?

ruthmendez
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 10:26 AM

I’m definitely a beach fan here. I live close to the beach and visit often. This Sunday weather should be safe to take dad for at least an hour.  I’m no Gidget so I don’t know anything about surfing but that would be cool. The only thing I’m not liking all that much lately since the law passed is that I can smell more pot...a bit yuck
jfkoc
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 11:13 AM

I grew up north of Chicago on a bluff overlooking Lake Michigan. I too spent days on the sand. Favorite time was winter with the great ice caps at the shore line and a myriad of animal tracks.
w/e
Posted: Friday, March 15, 2019 8:54 PM

Ah, Andy... An island gal here... (A city (suburb) dweller now)...  And footprints on the sand left behind. In my island. Paradise.

The land. The sea. The sky. The wide horizon. All ours. Wide-Open. Democratic. Free.

Two lovers. In a morning sail. Skinny dipping. Skin diving for conchs. Regaled with a glorious sunrise. And a splendid sunset... Enriched with the sun, the moon and the stars in the heavens above.

A glass of pure red wine. A soothing breeze in the night. My immortal beloved and I. Entwined.

Divine!

Andy, have a lovely R&R with your beloved.

Mrs. O
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 12:27 AM

Hi Andy (and all),  I grew up in the San Gabriel Valley, and also frequented the Orange Co. beaches on summer weekends. My DH (w/ALZ) grew up in El Segundo, and always wanted to return to the beach when we retired. Fortunately, we made the move (to Ventura) shortly before his diagnosis. Anyway... life at the beach has been therapeutic for both of us. Right now there is a Painted Lady butterfly migration headed North from Mexico. Thousands and thousands!  When we were walking along the beach this morning, we saw a steady stream of them emerging from the rocks above the sand. They had found safety in the crevices there, and came out to continue their journey. It was an amazing sight!  The beach is always beautiful. Add butterflies, and it’s breathtaking!  Enjoy your well deserved weekend away!
jfkoc
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 8:53 AM

article on this;

https://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-butterflies-desert-explosion-20190312-story.html

Vik
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 3:25 PM

Andy61, there are musical CDs that hav VERY relaxing music and ocean wave sounds with the music:  Walmart/Target/Hobby Lobby all carry some at reasonable price. That type of relaxing music along with the ocesn sounds may bring u peace and calm when ur not by the beach.  I know bcuz i gain so much from the ocean!  Hang in there and God bless you both!
Beachfan
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2019 9:59 PM

I am enjoying some “me” time before joining DH for the night and came across this thread.  I have spent summers at the Jersey shore since I was in utero! I have permanent tan lines and sand permanently between my toes.  We still maintain the family home and spend as much time as possible there.  My DH never saw the ocean until he dated me, but he quickly became a believer.  Our kids and grandkids are all staunch beach lovers.  There is nothing more soothing to me than to stare at the ocean and breath in the salt air.  Serenity! Sign me......Beachfan.
Andy61
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2019 9:26 AM

It was great leaving the window slightly open at night and hearing the waves breaking all night. The room has a jacuzzi which we have not used yet but will do so this morning after we get back from our walk. Sadly, heading back home at noon.
jfkoc
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2019 10:51 AM

Lake Snowden, Starck WI. It did not have a beach but it did have Loons. There is nothing to compare to the sound of a Loon on a still night.
Beachfan
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2019 11:02 AM

Our little beach house is slowly being surrounded by "McMansions"; million dollar plus homes being erected on the lots where the original 1940's/50's homes were bought up and the houses demolished. We are one of two original homeowners left on our block.   We refer to our house as the "no frills beach cottage".  No central air, no dishwasher, seasonal wifi and basic cable, no garage, only recently installed clothes dryer.  Our luxury is hot water in the outside shower, one of my favorite places on the property.  We rely on ocean breezes to cool the place (ocean is 5 blocks away). In season, we park the car and bike or walk anywhere we need to go or we don't go- - dodging absent-minded tourists can be dangerous.  

With that backstory, I just wanted to add that opening the windows and nodding off to the sound of the ocean is heaven- -even in the dead of winter.  If the breeze is blowing (or not blowing) in the right direction, you can hear each individual wave as it breaks. Some of my fondest memories are snuggling in bed with our young grandchildren and counting the waves as they fell asleep.  Our 4 year old granddaughter "slept over" last night (in our home in PA).  Not even an hour ago, she sprang up off the sofa and said, "Can we go to the beach, RIGHT NOW, please!"  She must be reading my mind.  Counting the days.    

Jo C.
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2019 10:17 PM

Andy; I too love the ocean and am in Calif.  In my teen years, my friend's grandmother lived on Ocean Boulevard in Long Beach; we used to take the bus there every day we could and go to 10th place Beach off Ocean.  So many days spent there.

Now, to get a bit of respite, we drive to Seal Beach not far from the pier.  My favorite time to go is in the winter time when the population on the beach is sparse.  I love the taste of salt on my lips, the feel of the breeze in my hair and across my face; the smell of the sea, the sound of the waves hitting shore, and watching the gulls play on air currents.  One of my favorite things is to go early in the morning on a breezy day and watch the kite surfers; they have a landing and prep area not far down the beach and they take off from there . . . really amazing to watch.

Nothing like the ocean or a deep forest; they renew me.

J.

Misty54
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 12:19 PM

You are so right about the call of the loons. Your comment brought me to our remote cottage on Clear Lake in Canada. A needed mental respite at the moment as my Mom with ES is dozing beside me. Lots of good times on the lake with in laws over the years. Took my MIL with MS a number of times after FIL passed away. She really enjoyed hearing the loons again.
Torr
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2019 11:50 PM

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I joined a just couple weeks ago to see what tips I might get for dealing with the personal stresses from caring for my MIL. She is still physically mobile, ambulatory with a walker, and is able to reason but has such a bad memory that she has trouble processing where she is, why, and who she is with; sometimes becoming combative..sigh...tonight is one of those nights. My DW is helping her into bed while I write this.

I am from San Jose, CA, currently living in Oklahoma and I too miss the ocean. It occurs to me how blessed our lives have been to have had those experiences. Thank you for reminding me of the sights, smells and sounds of the beach. 

BethL
Posted: Friday, April 5, 2019 8:44 AM

For me, life is a mountain. I love Rocky Mountain National Park and Yellowstone National Park. So breathtakingly beautiful! The beach is nice too, but give me mountains!
Jo C.
Posted: Friday, April 5, 2019 11:50 AM

Hello Torr, and a very warm welcome to you.   By your writing, it seems you are experiencing some challenges which certainly can cause stress to those providing care.

If you would like to have some feedback regarding care issues, I would like to invite you to Post on the Caregiver's Forum.  This is where we can present our challenges/problems and receive a lot of input based on experiential wisdom; the support can be very helpful.

So glad to have you join us,

J.

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, April 5, 2019 12:36 PM

Hi Torr....several of us who regularly post are from Oklahoma!
Dahlke
Posted: Thursday, April 11, 2019 8:13 PM

The Beach was my personal salvation. I like on Camano Island, Wa. and I can get to the beach in less that 5 minutes.  I could take my dogs and escape to walk, explore, pick up trash, dig clams, etc. etc.  My spouse (of 51 years)  died late in Oct. (24/7 total care at home for 3.5 years)  and the beach is still my restful place to retreat and  ease into the new life and role of widowhood. Sometimes I even go down, when it is not the best of weather.  But it aways calms my soul. 

Dahlke (Cynthia)

GothicGremlin
Posted: Friday, April 19, 2019 12:38 AM

Hi all.  Wow, Mrs. O, I'm from the San Gabriel Valley too.  Summers were spent at those beaches too, as well as camping at Mt. Baldy.

I regard Santa Cruz, CA as my "home beach".  I lived there for quite some time, and heard the ocean waves every night as I went to sleep.  I haven't lived there in eons, but I still don't live far from the ocean, it's just more north.

Just thinking of the beach makes me happy.

OrganizerBecky
Posted: Wednesday, May 1, 2019 3:40 PM

I am and always have been a land-locked Midwesterner, so trips to the beach are rare! We did get to spend a week in March at Playa del Carmen in Mexico at a beautiful resort right on the beach. It was wonderful and I hope to go back someday. I videoed the waves on my phone so I can "go back" on occasion.
DebbieKW
Posted: Friday, May 3, 2019 10:22 PM

Hi Vic, I hope you dont mind I picked your profile out to ask for help with this group. I'm newly diagnosed and just joined here. Is there somewhere for new folks to start meeting others or learn how to use this app? Thanks,sorry for the interruption.
Vik
Posted: Saturday, May 4, 2019 7:21 AM

Debbie, no problem for contacting me about dementia!  Thats what this site is all about!

Instead of havimg to retype everyhing i posted in another place, im going to refer you to that post found to:

Vik
Posted: Saturday, May 4, 2019 7:25 AM

Andy under FORUM:  Early Onset Dementia, etc.

SUBJECT:

Vik
Posted: Saturday, May 4, 2019 7:29 AM

ANDY under SUBJECT:  Im back.  Also, if youd like, you could "friend" me on Facebook and we could message privately there.
Vik
Posted: Saturday, May 4, 2019 7:31 AM

SUBJECT: Im Back.

You may also want to read Caregiver and People with Dememtia postings as i found those helpful too.

Jo C.
Posted: Saturday, May 4, 2019 3:07 PM

Hello DebbieKW, welcome to this Message Board.  If you go back to where you first come in, there is a grid that lists all the Forums that are available to communicate on.

I think the one that you may be looking for, is the forum called, "Young Onset."  Click on that and introduce yourself, you will get responses from others who have been diagnosed as well as others.  That is the most active Forum for those who have been diagnosed with dementia.

You are always welcome to Post on any Forum you wish; many do write on multiple Forums; whatever works best for you.

Best wishes,

J.

Jo C.
Posted: Saturday, May 4, 2019 3:12 PM

Hello Vik; you are a very warm and kind person, but I am a bit concerned about your providing private information such as your full name on an open Message Board.  There are often people who lurk and hide to gather personal information and then use it for negative purposes; so perhaps you may want to reconsider in providing that information so openly.

Thank you for reading this, and no negative intent is meant.

J.

DebbieKW
Posted: Sunday, May 5, 2019 2:12 PM

Thank you so much for replying to my message! I will ck out that information and I appreciate the offer of Facebook. It took me awhile to find these answers to my post. I'll have to learn how to know when someone replies to me!  A new and confusing world.
DebbieKW
Posted: Sunday, May 5, 2019 2:16 PM

Thanks I'll go back and look for that. I can definitely say so far everything I read is helpful and sympathetic to situations.
markus8174
Posted: Friday, May 17, 2019 6:09 AM

Andy- your post lightened my day and made me sad all at once. For most of our marriage my DW with AD have gone off to a beach adventure a couple of times a year. Eventually we found a little resort we both loved and it became our second home. The staff all knew us, the bartender didn't even have to ask for our order when we stayed. Last visit I told the staff we were close to that DW is progressing in AD to the point we may not be able to visit. Our favorite server was in tears. I envy you your escape. Our sanctuary is too far to drive, and it isn't safe to take my DW through an airport with her mentation being what it is. Enjoy a beach day and think of me and mine while you are there. Enjoy it as often as you can. As the song says "It's later than you think...."
Davegrant
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2019 7:31 AM

Permit me a Metaphor: I live in northern Wisconsin , far from the Oceans but with easy access to beautiful Lakes hidden in the forests.

New Caregiver:

I feel like am a lifeguard treading water while my DW swims unaware yet fully confident in her journey. She has swam lakes many times in the distant past, but never this one.

This lake is unfamiliar to me, yet I read and hear that it is deep and filled with many dangers. Our family is standing on the shore, mostly confused and innocently indifferent to what is happening out in the lake .

I would like to stand on the shore and rest but can't get there because I need to stay in the water alert to the dangers and close enough to rescue my one swimmer. I cannot swim as fast as I once could. 

The online web sites are like floating buoys giving me my only moments of respite. I am not alone there are other lifeguards. 

I am grateful for what I can do, yet I wonder how long I can tread water.

ruthmendez
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2019 7:54 AM

Davegrant wrote:

Permit me a Metaphor: I live in northern Wisconsin , far from the Oceans but with easy access to beautiful Lakes hidden in the forests.

New Caregiver:

I feel like am a lifeguard treading water while my DW swims unaware yet fully confident in her journey. She has swam lakes many times in the distant past, but never this one.

This lake is unfamiliar to me, yet I read and hear that it is deep and filled with many dangers. Our family is standing on the shore, mostly confused and innocently indifferent to what is happening out in the lake .

I would like to stand on the shore and rest but can't get there because I need to stay in the water alert to the dangers and close enough to rescue my one swimmer. I cannot swim as fast as I once could. 

The online web sites are like floating buoys giving me my only moments of respite. I am not alone there are other lifeguards. 

I am grateful for what I can do, yet I wonder how long I can tread water.

Beautifully written