RSS Feed Print
Where do we go from here........
luv482
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2019 5:20 PM

So frustrated...……..with our medical system.  Three years ago my mom was admitted to hospice care.  My dad and I picked a local hospice care agency (not knowing at the time) and felt good at first.  My mom still lives at home so we had all the amenities that come with hospice, daily aide, medication, supplies, equipment and a weekly nurse.  Then in July of this year hospice discharged my mom because she was not declining fast enough.  I get it three years is a long time; however, how are we suppose to know my mom's lifespan.  No one knows.   I know this is more of a Medicare issue, but learning now this hospice took my mom too early and now we no sufficient help.  My mom has transitioned into a home health care agency, but state they can only help us for 90 days because my mom is not going to get better.  Their care does not provide half of what my mom needs.  My mom does not walk, eat on her own, bath on her own, does not recognize people, has no motor skills, basically we do everything for her.  So where does this leave us?  I continue to be my mom's voice, but I feel so hopeless. 

I have learned a lot now about what we shoulda coulda of done, but that is too late.  And it upsets me more that our health care system didn't give us the education we needed.   Alzheimer's sucks and it effects the whole family.   

TessC
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2019 8:50 PM

Contact another hospice after a few weeks and they will do a re-assessment. If your mother qualifies, they will take her because hospice can make a lot of money off hospice patients, as you know. But don't be surprised if their services are not the same as the first one. Getting daily help is unusual unless the person is actively dying.

luv482
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2019 1:02 PM

Thank you!  Yes, we are now in the process with trying to re-admit my mom to another hospice.  Hoping for the best!!