RSS Feed Print
Getting LO to take nighttime med
Suziesb
Posted: Wednesday, September 4, 2019 7:03 AM

My mom will take other meds easily -- Tylenol for a headache, for example. She isn't on any prescriptions anymore except her bedtime one to help her sleep --Tramadone.  She also needs it for the antidepressant properties.  She does not like to take it and because of the slightly bitter taste can tell the difference!  I stopped giving it to her for a month recently and then she was awake all night and also very sad again. Began recently and what a difference, sleeping all night, happier in the day. However, last night, she again looked at the pill suspiciously and didn't want to take it.

I've tried crushing it and hiding it in applesauce or pudding but then she doesn't usually eat all of the food, so that's out. I'm afraid to give it in her main meal, too, because she's such a slow eater, and it may make her too sleepy.

I've tried different fiblets but she just doesn't like this med. She doesn't believe me that it helps her sleep. She thinks she sleeps fine. 

Any suggestions? I am willing to try anything.

harshedbuzz
Posted: Wednesday, September 4, 2019 7:20 AM

Ugh, that's a tough one. 

When ever I had to give my kid something nasty tasting, I crushed the pill into a single spoonful of something strongly flavored like grape jelly so I knew he got it all. 

Another option would be to talk to the pharmacist about compounding it into a highly flavored suspension to see if that helps. You could also ask the prescribing physician if another medication would be appropriate and more palatable. 

Reasoning with her "it helps you sleep" is probably not going to help. Unless you can create a fiblet that the pill treats something that speaks to her, it might be best to just say her favorite doctor wants her to have it because s/he wants her to have the best care possible.
Eric L
Posted: Wednesday, September 4, 2019 11:44 AM

We were mostly lucky with meds because my MIL had psoriatic arthritis for most of her life, so taking pills was second nature for her. However, we just made it a routine thing. "Hey, MIL, let's take your morning pills. Hey MIL, let's take your nightime pills".
MN Chickadee
Posted: Thursday, September 5, 2019 9:31 AM

Is it a pill you could cut in half with a sharp knife? Maybe put each half in a big bite of ice cream or something that will help it slide down and mask the taste? Play up the treat. Let's treat ourselves and have a little ice cream before bed! I'm having chocolate with marshmallow swirl, what kind do you want mom? I would second consulting a pharmacist for advice.
LicketyGlitz
Posted: Thursday, September 5, 2019 3:28 PM

We have trouble with crushed pills tasting bad, even swirled in chocolate pudding, which she loves!

So, I've been having luck lately hiding her smaller pills in raspberries that are sprinkled in her oatmeal. Any chance that might work for you?

Suziesb
Posted: Thursday, September 5, 2019 11:23 PM

Thanks for your tips!  I used the distraction technique with her the other night which worked (I was asking about her day while I gave her the tablet, then said, "Hey here's a chocolate treat! I'm having one, too!" And she ate it as a chaser.

Tonight I used the fiblet technique, though I think I'll be able to distract most of the time. 

Mom is very obsessed with being constipated, even when she isn't, so tonight I told her it was a laxative and she took it right down.  Hmm... may be able to use that one more.  Makes me feel kinda guilty but she's snoring away down the hall right now and she remains so much more happier in the day. Plus I am sleeping, too. Win-win.

Thanks again, all!

Eric L
Posted: Sunday, September 8, 2019 1:26 AM

Suzie - You gotta use whatever gifts you are given. Mom’s obsession with constipation, crazy as it sounds, is a gift. If you can get her to take her med because she thinks it’s a laxative, you’ve scored a giant win.