RSS Feed Print
My day with DW's broken wrist.
Crushed
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 3:03 PM

DW fell last night. Staff called and said it looked ok

Called this morning 7 am said it was swollen and needed to be X-rayed.

I called KAISER.  local urgent care only opened at 3 pm

Made appointment at 8:20 at Gaithersburg

Drove to MC , picked her up after some confusion. 

Just made it to KP at 8:20.  We check in  DW is  the first patient. 

Nurse takes vitals Dr comes in 15 minutes.  says it needs an X ray

Go down to Radiology.  Stand in long line to check in AGAIN. 

Wait 30 minutes.   get called.  DW is starting to get agitated.  10 AM

XRAY guy is great. gives me led apron, has me hold DWs arm gets pictures.

Back to urgent care.  wait for xray interpretation.  See Dr. Yes Broken wrist. 

Over to Orthopedic surgery.  Check in AGAIN.   wait endlessly 11AM

Into "cast room"  DW increasingly agitated.  not sure we can get the cast on  with DW thrashing.  I say lets try and ill hold her.  DW screams are blood curdling through whole procedure. three of us hold her while powerful lady surgeon manipulates wrist bones into place.  Plaster partial cast goes on. wrapped in flexible athletic wrap.  My hearing aid dies during screaming.  what a relief. 

Now back to radiology to check bone alignment.  Get red URGENT  after describing situtation in radiology.  Go back down to radiology. Line is out the door.  lady tells me to go to end of lien NO I say very forcefully and speak to administrative head of department. Point out we have checked in several times already including in radiology and my wife is coming completely unglued due to delays and it is directly affecting her care.  She will be too agitated for X-rays. 

Cause of long line is soon revealed.  Computer system is down. (this is an area in which I have considerable expertise)   they cant get the orders from orthopedic surgery.  So I ask, whats the backup and the response is "carrier pigeons but they died"  Finally someone walks upstairs gets DW's orders and they try the x-ray. Now 
DW is not only frantic she has a cast on her arm.  finally we get pictures.  

Back up to orthopedic surgery.  We see the surgeon who says the alingnment is prefect.    now we only have to wait for a bone density measurement to estimate healing.  20 minutes later nothing happens.  we go out find the friendly technician and ask what is going on?  We find out a patient is being worked on and is blocking the Bone density machine. We get the bone density measurement and it is fine.  

As we are packing to leave the technician who has been attending DW all day smiles and says "where do husbands like you come from?  what would she do without you ?"

I left feeling better  I took DW to a late lunch and stopped at a fabric store to get nice fabric to cover ugly cast. 

amicrazytoo
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 3:14 PM

Oh my, what an ordeal. Bless you Crushed!
janeymack
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 3:14 PM

Crushed - Vacation's over! Glad you were home to tend to your wife so kindly and personally advocate for her care. I'm always surprised when residential facilities rely on family for medical visits, but I guess that's not on the menu of services.
Trapped
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 3:21 PM

Good Lord!  You are beyond a Saint.  

Welcome home but sorry you got hit with this.

ladyzetta
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 3:26 PM

Dear Crushed,

I am so sorry this has happened to you and your DW.

She is so lucky to have such a loving husband by her side. I can only imagine how hard that was for both of you. 

Your a Blessing. 

jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 3:28 PM

Can't believe that any one person could get all of that done. How in the world did you think of fabric???

Updates please!!!

Crushed
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 3:39 PM

I was actually kind of proud of myself on the fabric.I went into the Fabric store and asked if they had any Vogue patterns for cast covers. They laughed and said no but what a fine idea.  So here is the prototype:  (lovely fingers are DWs)

Ed1937
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 3:41 PM

Wow! We've had a couple of wins on the forum, and now this! I guess if there's anything good about it is that it's over - at least for now.
lauri.massey
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 4:12 PM

What an ordeal.  Our medical systems are broken for all, but our LOs need quicker care.  The amount of stress these events cause for our loved ones and for us is crazy.  It sounds like you handled it beautifully!  I do not know what you do for self care, but I am drinking a glass of wine in your honor tonight!
Army_Vet60
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 4:18 PM

I'm sorry to hear your wife's at the stage of falling.

Considering she's an ALZ sufferer with a broken bone, they didn't seem to treat it much like a priority after reading that timeline.

I hope she's comfortable with that cast and understands it can't come off.

KawKaw
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 4:23 PM

Wow, what a day!

So glad you were both able to make it through to the final treatment.  That was like two marathons back to back!

Well, well done.  I hope that DW heals quickly with as little distress and discomfort as possible.

lvcatlvr
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 5:18 PM

You are a wonderful husband. Sorry for that insanely long ordeal. I hope her wrist heals quickly.

Boxerlover53
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 5:44 PM

Crushed....oh my what an ordeal you’ve been through today! My heart goes out to you and your dear wife!  I pray that she’s not in too much discomfort. Btw....I’m loving the cast cover you created as I adore anything in leopard print!
Joe C.
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 5:49 PM

Great job keeping it all together! Most of us probably would have lost it have way through that ordeal,
elainechem
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 5:56 PM

Wow! I'm exhausted just hearing about this! So far, my hubby hasn't fallen (knock on wood). Computers are great when they work, right? I can't believe that they didn't expedite everything given her diagnosis.
Jo C.
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 7:30 PM

Oh, your poor dear wife.   All the strangeness, the noise, the people, the pain in her wrist and being wrested around physically and from pillar to post; it had to be dreadful for her.   How is her pain level now?  Is she tolerating the cast alright?

Hard on the caregiver, that is for sure; been there.   So hope she does well with all that has happened and that she is able to be reasonably comfortable.  Let us know how she is doing, we will be thinking of her.

J.

Dahlke
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 8:26 PM

Hope you found something "medicinal" to calm the nerves.

Dahlke(Cynthia)

jdmg1
Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 2020 8:48 PM

I couldn't even imagine.  I am so sorry.  That is horrific for both of you.  Hopefully her recovery will be uneventful.
SSHarkey
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2020 6:13 AM

What a way to return home! Your poor DW! It must have been so difficult to see her so agitated. Well done, husband. And isn’t it nice that others sometimes see our efforts. Especially after a day like you had.
RachelC
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2020 6:17 AM

Thanks for sharing, you are an inspiration. Best wishes for a speedy recovery on the wrist
RachelC
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2020 6:17 AM

Thanks for sharing, you are an inspiration. Best wishes for a speedy recovery on the wrist
trixeebelle
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2020 6:38 PM

Not everyone would think to get pretty fabric to cover the ugly cast.  Sweet!
Rosi's Mom
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2020 7:20 PM

Talk about a 36 hour day! Until we or a family member is in a situation like this we assume that life will go smoothly. Somehow there should be protocols for people with disabilities in ER. Can you imagine everyone else in the ER including small children having to experience the agitation and screaming? 

So glad you were able to navigate the "system". Just sorry you both had to go through the experience!

Peggy

w/e
Posted: Thursday, January 30, 2020 10:37 AM

What a bummer!

What an arduous journey for the day. The threshold of physical pain. The threshold of hearing. The threshold of feelings and emotions experienced. It took a toll on both of you. Certainly. 

My heart goes out to your DW with a broken wrist. She is a human being living with symptoms of dementia of the Alzheimer's type not being able to give voice as to what it was that she was experiencing. Where it hurts. When it happened. Where it happened. How it happened. Oh my, oh my... The intensity of her physical pain. Her heightened stress level. Her overwhelming confusion. The panic... Jesus, Mary and Joseph, no wonder she was screaming at the top of her lungs. She felt as if she was being tortured! Screaming was the only way of communication that she had left to express her threshold of pain(s). Poor dear.

And, of course, poor you for having to be a witness to all of that and for having to be firm and correct. As well as calm cool collected. Emotionally drained. Physically exhausted. Heart broken.

I hope the medical people have taken extra measures to provide appropriate relief for her pain. In all fronts.

I will say this though, falling can happen to anyone. But, if you do not know for sure as to how and where the fall occurred, there are detailed questions to be asked to the carers attending to your wife at her present dwelling place.

I hope today is tranquil for the both of you.

Beartracks
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 4:33 AM

Atta boy Crushed.  Been following your tale from the beginning we are in the same boat as I stated once before  you and dw are at fnt of canoe going over the edge and falls myself and DW are in back end of canoe. I say this because after reading many of your posts I could have wrote it myself minus the trips and brainy parts.

I was a bit pleased to read a normal everyday chaotic experience.  My DW falls more frequently also.. Id like to know that since we are similar in this progression if you noticed any jerking/twitching motions from your wife. 

I too am told I have a caring heart and way about me. I can only respond with a smile. Its not ideal but its my obligation and promise. Yes I wish it was different. I did make a post about twitching and jerking . I hope I can get some input.  Take care

harshedbuzz
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 6:09 AM

Crushed-

How is your dear wife tolerating her new cast?

HB

piozam13
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 1:31 PM

I doubt if I would've survived the ordeal.  You are brave and bold.
I'm wondering if there were other ways under the circumstances.  Is the cast necessary.  Why did they not take care of swelling and pain.  Your DW - is she happy with the cast.

lvcatlvr
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 2:12 PM

Your love for your wife shines through with everything you do. She is so lucky to have such a loving and patient husband. How is she doing?
MyCWW
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 7:43 PM

You. Are. An. Inspiration.
Crushed
Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2020 4:47 PM

So far so good on the Cast.  Xray on Tuesday.  Working on checking shoes to see if she is sticking to the new carpet.

SSHarkey
Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2020 5:09 PM

Crushed, good news!!
Crushed
Posted: Sunday, February 2, 2020 1:26 PM

Took her Cherry pie and chocolate ice cream.  She loved it.  Cherry pie is a family story.  

When I was 3 years old  I went up to my grandmother with an empty plate and said "May I have another piece of that delicious cherry pie?"   It passed into family lore and family still bring me cherry pies on my birthday. 

zauberflote
Posted: Sunday, February 2, 2020 3:55 PM

Re those shoes on the rug-- I am sure they do stick. My mom had her first truly injurious fall about a month after she'd moved to AL. It had to do with the (firmly taped down) rug, and the heel of her shoe catching on the loops as she changed direction. 

I don't understand why they make "shoes for the elderly" so HUGE!! If you have been a size 9 all your life, and suddenly your shoes transform you into an 11, what do the designers of these "broad base" shoes expect is going to happen!?