RSS Feed Print
'he doesn't think he is ill'
littleme
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2016 9:22 PM

I've realized that we view them as 'sick' and they do not view themselves this way. 

That is a quote from GiGi in the last couple of days, and it really made me stop and think.

No wonder he can't understand why I am so stressed 'taking care of' him. or that he thinks that if only I asked him to do more around the house, everything would be fine.

And I can't change his viewpoint. So I just go on doing what I am doing, until I wear out..... or have 3 weeks respite, or permanent placement.

I HATE this disease. @#$%^

elainechem
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2016 9:43 PM

Yeah, tell me about it. My hubby thinks he is just fine. He has been going through a good phase right now. He's so happy! I'm not even sure why. It could simply represent a progression of the disease. He's starting to wet himself, but he still thinks he's okay. If that's what he believes, that's okay with me. 
sherri58
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 7:02 AM

Same thing here for me.   My husband thinks he is fine, never better actually.  He can't understand and gets mad that I am making all the decisions now and he's not doing anything.  I will give him a little job to do and sure enough it gets screwed up, so I'm better off doing things myself. 

I guess its good he doesn't realize whats happening.  Its awful for me though, to watch what is happening to him, little by little. 

HUGS for all.

rosepoint
Posted: Sunday, August 21, 2016 7:17 AM

Yes, same here.  DH probably has VaD.  After each TIA he recognizes an issue with his thinking (he says it's harder to think or it's slower to think)  then within a week he says he's fine again and has had no lingering impact.  Meanwhile I see that he is more confused after each episode, has more aphasia, etc.  His mom who is stage 5 will tell people that she is going to get ALZ someday but seems to have no recognition that she already has it.