RSS Feed Print
Hallucinations or nightmares?
Nowadays
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 7:19 PM

A few times this month my husband wakes within an hour of falling asleep startling us both by jumping up and yelling out, “Who’s that”or “What’s that ....”?  Sometimes it’s a monster, but last night it was a little boy. Within a few minutes he’ll exclaim, “Weird, it seemed so real!” and go back to sleep.  He’s been on 10 mgs Aricept and 25mgs of Seroquel since May.  Is this just bad dreams or could it be the beginning of hallucinations? Perhaps due to side affects of drugs or dementia itself? He never recalls the episodes, of course.
Marabella
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:37 PM

My DH could not take Aricept at bedtime, as was recommended. He had disturbed sleep and “nightmares” as side effects. Through experimentation, I found that DH slept better with medication given no later than 6 pm. I give DH a melatonin at bedtime and it seems to help with sleep.  All medications have side effects and affect users differently, so it’s hard to say. You may need to experiment with the medication timing and dosing.
Mrs. O
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 12:19 AM

Hard to say whether it’s dreams or hallucinations. I think all dreams are hallucinations (seeing, hearing, experiencing things that are not real). They are mostly harmless in the sleeping state, but are problematic when experienced while awake.
Mimi2
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2019 8:28 PM

I don’t know whether my husband is sleep walking, hallucinating or what this “new phase” is called. When he gets up at nite he heads to the bathroom, I’m right behind him, but instead of literally “going” he tells me all the reasons why he doesn’t have time to do “that”.  One nite he was painting a forest another nite he was counting votes. Last week he couldn’t take the time to go to the restroom because he was building a castle for the Russian czar’s princess. Another night he insisted he needed to get gas for our car.  I don’t argue, I try to divert to no avail. There’s been nites it’s taken me an hour to get him back in bed and sometimes with out him “going” or allowing me to check his pull-ups.  I started buying Abena Flex premium...expensive but they are worth it!

DH takes Namenda XR 28mg in the AM. His Aricept 10mg before 6 and a melatonin an hour before bedtime. I’m praying this is a short lived phase neither of us are sleeping. 

Mrs. O
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 2:03 AM

Nowadays,  No, my DH has no idea that he has ALZ, even though the Dr. uses that term in his presence. He doesn’t seem to know what skills he has lost.... I believe he thinks that he is just not interested in doing those things anymore. Anosognosia. Sometimes he claims that he doesn’t have anything anymore (house, car, money, etc). He says that he doesn’t know how that happened. I just tell him that I will share everything I have with him. He says: “OK- thank you!”
Doityourselfer
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 6:30 AM

My husband has hallucinations every single day with or without medications, since 2016.  Sees little people in our house or car and gets quite agitated.  This disease is the nightmare.
SSHarkey
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 6:32 AM

Nowadays, my husband started with the nightmares as soon as he began the Aricept so I started giving it to him in the morning! Doc said no problem. Worked perfectly! No more nightmares!
JJAz
Posted: Friday, August 16, 2019 3:30 PM

It sounds like REM Behavior Sleep Disorder, which is a feature of Lewy Body Dementia.  Google this type of dementia and read about the other symptoms.  It's the most misdiagnosed type of dementia.  Also the 2nd most common type of dementia.  Important to get a good diagnosis because LBD patients often have severe reactions to many medications.

Blessings,

Jamie

Nowadays
Posted: Sunday, August 18, 2019 9:31 PM

Thanks all for your input. SSHarkey- He will start taking the Aricept in the mornings as each night this past week he’s experienced disturbed sleep/ waking nightmares. Thank you! I hope it works for him in staying asleep as it did for your husband. Also, he’s meeting with a geriatric psychologist next month and I’m hopeful she’ll have an opinion as to what type of dementia he most likely has and which medicines might be most helpful.
RWOODS
Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 2019 3:04 PM

I have used CDB oil at night with his medications including Depakote, sleepytime extra tea and another tea which includes valerian root. This was approved by his geriatric psychiatrist and seems to help him sleep without anxiety or hallucinations at night.