RSS Feed Print
Maybe I Misunderstood? Does he really understand?
PaulsWife
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2019 6:17 PM

DH is scheduled to enter a Memory Care facility on 9/30. I have told him but he hasn't seemed to comprehend it. He is fully incontinent (both ways), can’t shower, dress, etc. He had three major messes in his pants over the last two days, one while at daycare today. I swear he said to me that it was time for him to go somewhere else where they would take care of it instead of me having to do it as it was getting to be too much. He is usually so non-communicative that I feel like maybe I made that up in my head??? Has anyone else experienced this?
Dahlke
Posted: Saturday, September 7, 2019 10:04 AM

Sometimes little "windows" open up in their brains, and they do understand.  My spouse came into the kitchen one day ( after many months of non verbal existence) and said "I'd like a beer." 

Blew me away.  Needless to say I bought a 6 pack and made sure he got one occasionally. 

He senses it is time.  

Take care.

Cynthia (Dahlke) 

Ed1937
Posted: Saturday, September 7, 2019 3:49 PM

Dahlke wrote:

Sometimes little "windows" open up in their brains, and they do understand.   

Yes! I've heard of that several times. You got a keeper. Consider it a gift to hold onto.

PaulsWife
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2019 6:28 AM

Thank you! I hope the transition goes smoothly for him. I’m not sure he will remember any prior discussion.