RSS Feed Print
Neurology vs. Neuropsychology
Schreica
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2020 1:24 PM

We're looking for a neurologist for my dad, and I can't find one anywhere in my city whose profile says they deal with dementia. However, I AM finding neuropsychologists that do. Is that who we're supposed to be looking for? Are they the ones who can diagnose what kind of dementia my dad has? 

Thanks!

KawKaw
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2020 1:59 PM

We have a neuro-psychiatrist on our team.

He has a medical degree plus training in psychiatry plus a speciality in dementia.

I don't know anything about neuro-psychologists. 

This neuropsychiatrist has been a huge support and help in helping my mother who has dementia.

Rescue mom
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2020 2:38 PM

Typically, —psychologists can counsel, —psychiatrists can prescribe drugs, which help many PWDs deal with unpleasant symptoms. But (again, usually) only the psychiatrist can do an Rx.

When my DH was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, it was a neurologist who worked with the local Memory Care center. We got to him via the reference to the Memory clinic, the reference to the clinic came from DHs PCP.

Have you asked your dads PCP for a reference on a neurologist? Might be a starting place.

harshedbuzz
Posted: Sunday, January 19, 2020 2:50 PM

Neuropsychologists typically are part of a care team: they often work with neurologists and geriatric psychiatrists. Often they're the ones who do the in depth cognitive testing which can be useful in determining which form of dementia is present based on the unique profile of cognitive losses. Neurologists order the testing which can help determine diagnosis and geripsychs are the experts in medication management when psychoactive meds are indicated.