RSS Feed Print
"I'm a citizen"
Dahlke
Posted: Monday, October 6, 2014 8:45 PM

This is the comment I got today, after telling him to get out of something for at least a dozen times (4-5 hours of roaming and pillaging.)  It gave me a 'TIRED" chuckle and I had to appreciate how tired he must get of hearing me. 

And life goes on.

dayofhope
Posted: Tuesday, October 7, 2014 2:26 PM

Keep smiling, I guess that's one thing we can't take away from ourselves, the ability to find humor. Why do you think he used that term, citizen? I find that very interesting.

Dahlke
Posted: Tuesday, October 7, 2014 11:19 PM

He was born in Hungary and became a "citizen" just as soon as he possibly could.  It meant a lot to all of those who emigrated here after the revolution.  At least he can still remember that.
elainechem
Posted: Tuesday, October 7, 2014 11:29 PM

Wow! It takes a lot of courage to move to a new country. My husband's paternal grandparents emigrated from Russia and Poland just before the Russian revolution. Life would certainly be different if those two young people hadn't decided to leave. 

Crushed
Posted: Wednesday, October 8, 2014 5:32 AM

It put me in mind of a WW I poem which seems oddly fitting

Siegfried Sassoon. Dreamers  

SOLDIERS are citizens of death's gray land.

Drawing no dividend from time's to-morrows.

In the great hour of destiny they stand,

Each with his feuds, and jealousies, and sorrows.

Soldiers are sworn to action; they must win

Some flaming, fatal climax with their lives.

Soldiers are dreamers; when the guns begin

They think of fire lit homes, clean beds, and wives.

I see them in foul dug-outs, gnawed by rats,

And in the ruined trenches, lashed with rain,

Dreaming of things they did with balls and bats, 

And mocked by hopeless longing to regain

Bank-holidays, and picture shows, and spats, 

And going to the office in the train.

dayofhope
Posted: Wednesday, October 8, 2014 9:19 AM

I'm a citizen makes sense now. Bless his heart. What they remember and forget is indeed incredible.

Take care.

Tanya

w/e
Posted: Wednesday, October 8, 2014 10:34 AM

Dahlke:

"...after telling him to get out of something for at least a dozen times..."

He said, "I'm a citizen."

I think - MAYBE - he was trying to say to you, "I am a man entitled to his full  rights. I am a free man." Your LO is very proud to be a citizen of a great nation and away from oppression, revolution, war. To be free at last! ...

Being deeply forgetful with symptoms of dementia will not take away (will not erase) that feeling of freedom that he holds so dear.

The music behind his words : "Try to change the manner & tone of your voice when repeating things to me. "  :- )

You were cognisant of his words to have a 'tired chuckle' and you appreciated how tired he was... Bravo.

Fatigue is part of our burden, isn't it?

You did not have a meltdown after repeating a dozen times... good for you!

"And life goes on.",  as you said.

citizen refers to "a member of a state or a nation, esp. one with a republican government, who owes allegiance to it by birth or naturalization and is entitled to full civil rights"

Dahlke
Posted: Thursday, October 9, 2014 12:41 AM

Very insightful. This disease strips so many of their "freedoms" .  Driving a car.  (the BIG one for him).  Being in control of daily activities, etc.  It just wears me out watching him pacing around searching for his former life filled with his personal freedoms and trying to keep him safe in the process.  Yes, indeed--fatigue.