RSS Feed Print
What’s the oddest thing your DO has done?
Mrs. O
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 12:19 AM

I only ask because my DH had an independent assessment done for our long term insurance co. to determine continued eligibility & current needs. When I mentioned that he needs supervision every minute of the day, she looked at me and asked why. When I said that I have seen him pouring soda into a quart sized ziplock bag- thus spilling it all over the counter and floor, and putting salad dressing on the cat food, she looked incredulous, but did not write it down. Seems she was looking for known descriptors of the stages, like “needs help with belt buckle.”  If anyone else’s DO puts salad dressing (or Fresca) on the cat food, maybe we can get that added to the descriptors for Stage 6. You can’t make this stuff up!
Crushed
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 5:20 AM

Please don't ever let someone from an insurance company "not write it down" .  

DW has "mirror self-misidentification"  which was unknown to someone reviewing DWs. case

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirrored-self_misidentification

You may need to contact the Insurance company

and everyone knows that normal people put Coke on the cat food, not Fresca.  Cats don't like artificial sweeteners

Keep It 100
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 8:48 AM

Here is one we can add: Prepares for walk with me and the dog by putting on underwear, tee shirt, socks and shoes only. Stops halfway down the stairs and says I think something is missing...?

(I am blessed that my husband has an incredible sense of humor, and totally cracked up when I responded, in dead-pan, yeah, you might want to add pants to the ensemble.)

Rescue mom
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 10:42 AM

DH noticed I was bringing groceries in and offered to get the rest from the car. (unusual, both for him to notice and to offer help).

I said great. I was putting things up and noticed he was gone too long. I found him very carefully taking each new food item (including produce, canned goods, and cold and frozen), out of grocery bags and putting them the big outdoor trash container, one by one, carefully.

Pretty sure that’s not the strangest, but it is recent. He’s had other incident involving trash, but usually bringing it back inside the house—not just ours, but stuff he found along the road.

Mrs. O
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 12:01 PM

Wow Crushed....  I’m surprised that a reviewer from an insurance company was unaware of “mirror mis-identification.”  It’s one of the listed indicators of Stage 5 on Tam Cummings scale, and quite common from what I’ve read.  My DH has that too. Luckily he is not intimidated by the “other guy.”  DH thinks he’s funny, and he talks and laughs at him. There is one bathroom in our house that has too many mirrors though, and he won’t use that one, because he says “there’s too many people in there.”  Our Caretaker agency said that some of their clients have had to cover their mirrors b/c the images are disturbing to the PWD. 

And... you’re right... Kitty does not like Fresca, and he says that aspartame is not good for him. He’s a real health food nut, except for ice cream- which he can’t resist. But then... who can resist ice cream?  

Mrs. O
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 12:11 PM

Keep it 100-  Glad you two are laughing together. “Keep it” light!  

Rescue Mom-  Oh yes... “trash mid-identification” should definitely be added to Stage 5 or 6. My DH brings the FULL trash bins back up the driveway before they’re emptied. So I now wait until he goes to bed to take the big bins out before trash day. 

Crushed
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 12:47 PM

Mrs. O wrote:

Wow Crushed....  I’m surprised that a reviewer from an insurance company was unaware of “mirror mis-identification.”  It’s one of the listed indicators of Stage 5 on Tam Cummings scale, and quite common from what I’ve read. 

If it was LTC I would agree with you but it was a Kaiser reviewer dealing with why I needed care in the facility.  It's one of the reasons DW cant just go to an ER.

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 3:00 PM

TThese were funny  and sad at the same time. I have done to many stupid  things to list. But you have to laugh at them to keep your sanity.
Crushed
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 3:14 PM

Early in the disease

1) she would put a Bra on "inside out", and then be unable to get it off. 

2) Set the table with all spoons, of different sizes. 

3) for a while she could "pair up" socks or earrings. Found her confused on day trying to pari up her nightgowns

4)  She could put my wallet away "anyplace"  I went to a neck pouch

Mrs. O
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 4:06 PM

Thanks for contributing. I certainly don’t mean to laugh at anyone’s confusion. I just find it so interesting- how the mind does or does not work. Maybe this is karma for me... early in my career (working with children w/neurological & orthopedic disabilities), I read everything from Oliver Sachs and Richard Restak and more, finding it all so fascinating. Now I don’t have to read outside sources. It’s my whole life- right here at home.
elainechem
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 4:43 PM

Our most recent oddness was when hubby attempted to brush his teeth with his electric razor. I stopped him. I love sundowning.
Ed1937
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 4:59 PM

My MIL tried to comb her hair with my toothbrush. Got a new one, then hid it.
Maxwellmo
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 5:41 PM

The latest was eating a bowl of coffee grinds and milk.
Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Wednesday, June 26, 2019 5:47 PM

II hope I never get to this  point and hope to check  out before that happens  to me.
Mrs. O
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2019 12:48 AM

Maxwellmo said:   “The latest was eating a bowl of coffee grinds and milk.”

I’m going to try that!  

Victoria2020
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2019 3:04 AM

"eating a bowl of coffee grinds and milk"

high octane grape nuts

Doityourselfer
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2019 5:36 AM

My husband put his sweatpants on inside out and backwards, placed his shoes on the kitchen counter and applied his deodorant to his face.
elainechem
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2019 6:45 AM

And then there was the time that hubby shaved his armpits thinking he was applying deodorant. The next day he complained that his shaver blades were dull. When I looked at it, it was all gummed up with the deodorant that he had already applied. I had to buy new blades and I don't leave his electric razor out anymore.
Beachfan
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2019 9:05 AM

Two days ago, I came upon DH outside yelling for help and to “get that guy off me!”  He was sitting on a utility bucket and I first thought he was stuck.  His right hand was partially in the bucket; thumb was inside, fingers griping the outside.  He was sitting on his hand, crushing it with his weight and couldn’t figure out how to fix it.  Swelling and ice, all better now........

Two summers ago, I stepped into the bathroom, heard a crash and yelling.  He was on the front porch, had sat on the glass top insert on a rattan coffee table and fell through.  He was stuck like an overturned turtle.   

Much of his nonsense involves sitting.  

flavia
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2019 10:15 AM

I left a pair of my jeans on our bed to be hung in the closet.  DH came in from the shower and instead of putting on the jeans I'd put out for him, he put mine on!  He came wandering in to the living room confused about why the wouldn't fit at the waist and were too short.  Thank goodness my current inactive lifestyle hasn't made my jeans that big, yet.
Marie58
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2019 1:45 PM

DH tried to eat cereal and milk with a fork. 

One day he wore 3 pair of underwear under his jeans. 

One day he had 2 undershirts under his regular shirt. He had a doctor's appointment where he had to take his shirt off. I put the extra undershirt in my purse.

He always pushes the cart at the store. Yesterday on 3 different occasions he started pushing someone else's.

JJAz
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2019 2:13 PM

elainechem wrote:
Our most recent oddness was when hubby attempted to brush his teeth with his electric razor. I stopped him.
And my hubby attempted to shave with his toothbrush!!

JJAz
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2019 2:14 PM

Maxwellmo wrote:
The latest was eating a bowl of coffee grinds and milk.
LOVE IT.  (said as only a caregiver can really understand)

M. carolinus
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2019 2:19 PM

Putting clothes on backwards / inside out / twp pairs of pants - done that!  Pouring her water glass onto the kitchen table - yep!

What made me profoundly sad & disturbed was when she swished her toothbrush in the toilet, before I could stop her.  I realized she had probably done that many times before I saw it happen.

dayn2nite2
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2019 5:14 PM

I brought flowers I thought were pretty in a vase for my mother and when my back was turned she grabbed a couple of petals and was trying to eat them when I turned back around.

No more flowers.
Mrs. O
Posted: Thursday, June 27, 2019 5:17 PM

M. Carolinus.... Your incident reinforces my point that our DO’s require constant supervision. Along with all the assistance we provide, and every other aspect of running & managing the household... it’s an impossible task for anyone to do on their own.
M. carolinus
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2019 8:30 AM

Mrs. O  It is a gradual thing, the decline.  And never is it a straight line down but swings up for a while before turning down again.  What bothered me the most was this was a clear indication of what she had lost.  We are at the point where she is never alone for any length of time.  She needs help with just about everything.
Schders
Posted: Friday, June 28, 2019 5:15 PM

My DH did the same thing....applied deodarant to his face. I thought it was grey hair growth until I  noticed it wasn't the same on both sides. I touched his face and realized it was his deodarant. We laughed about it after I wiped it off.
abc123
Posted: Saturday, July 6, 2019 3:05 PM

My LO doesn’t do anything. She just checked out on her life. She has never tried to cook, wash dishes, do laundry, feed the dogs, sweep, check the mail, nothing. She does struggle with getting dressed, her answer to the problem....don’t get dressed. She appears nude several times a day.
ScottyTom
Posted: Saturday, July 6, 2019 6:53 PM

Got her underwear and bra confused.  She actually managed to get the underwear over her head and shoulders and was wearing the underwear as a bra.  I had to really do a double take to figure out what she had on, and I still don't know how she managed to do it.
Oespups
Posted: Monday, July 8, 2019 10:23 PM

I do miss my wife's cooking.  But, last time she cooked something simple, a hamburger, I was fed a hamburger that had the plastic separator cooked into it!  Maybe not the oddest thing, but something I'll not forget, and that pushed me into taking responsibility for dinner.  I am not a cook, lot's of Trader Joe's, but, LOL, I've learned to make a mean hamburger!
Cat 69
Posted: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 6:00 AM

I was feeling a bit sad and discouraged today until I gave this forum a try and felt so much less alone in my plight and had a chuckle as my DH has also done some strange things. Shoes were worn on the wrong feet, strolling down the hall in his walker wearing nothing but a smile and his cap, trying to heat his heating pad by using the phone. Yikes! We do laugh a lot.

Jo C.
Posted: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 1:23 PM

My dear mother.  Had two brand new beautiful nightgowns with lovely embroidery at the bodice.   I went into the bedroom and found her in bed with her nightgown cut off above the bust with her bosoms far south of the equator . . . . she had taken scissors to her new nightgowns and I will never know why.

No more scissors.

Refused to eat; no way would anything cross her lips because all the fresh food in the refrigerator was "rotten - rotten - rotten."  Oh my.

Fixed it.  Put some fruit, greens and cheese in various market bags and said I was going to throw them out in the trash can outside and that I would go to the store and buy brand new.

I stayed outside for ten minutes or so and re-entered the house carrying the same bags with the same food items and put them back in the frig while saying what good produce the store had and everything was on sale. 

She began to eat like someone was paying her to do it.

We love them for who they are now; not for who we want them to be.

J.

manuzito
Posted: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 6:36 PM

My DH is a war veteran and won’t go anywhere without his “WWII Navy Veteran” cap. When people stop to thank him for his service he immediately stands up in a salute position.  He is legally blind and I think that he feels that a superior is addressing him.

At night, he gets up several times and after using the toilet he washes his hands, his face and combs his hair with a wet comb before going back to sleep. I have seen him trying to use his toothbrush to comb his hair.  

JJAz
Posted: Tuesday, July 9, 2019 7:09 PM

Jo,

I love those stories,

Jamie