RSS Feed Print
Stay at home
Stunned805
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 10:28 PM

I cannot. I am a housekeeper at a hotel. If I don't work, I don't get paid. I also don't want to get fired. So yes, I'm getting exposed to whatever anyone has, everyday. Doing the handwashing, sanitizing, staying six-feet away from everyone.

And yes, I have a loved one with dementia who gets exposed to me,  everyday.

SSHarkey
Posted: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 10:50 PM

Sometimes life throws us choices between two evils. You have to do what you believe is best for you. Do try to protect yourself.
feudman
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 9:24 AM

Stunned, I feel for you; you are one of many in every state facing such hardships. Could you possibly get unemployment if you plead your case (about exposing your high-risk husband)? A lot of employees are striking due to a lack of jobsite protection. 

As state mandates to control the virus are intensified, your hotel may be forced to close. My state has a travel restriction, requiring a 14 day quarantine for all non-residents. Hotels received this notice from state officials:

1. You may not rent guest rooms to non-residents for less than 14 consecutive days.

2. Guests may not be issued a key card, and must be denied re-access if they leave the room.

3. You are responsible for providing all requested food & other necessities at reasonable cost during their stay.

IMO, they might as well ask them to close, and almost all of them have.

Best wishes to you.

Crushed
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 10:15 AM

you have my incredible sympathy. 

I have a housekeeper.  I am paying her and telling her not to come

The solution of course is for the Alzheimer's Association to agitate

POLITICALLY 

( Polite pause so some folks can run screaming to the moderator )

to protect caretakers.

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, April 2, 2020 11:08 AM

that is what people are doing here....full pay but please do not come
Stunned805
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2020 8:54 PM

And today Governor Ivey ordered a  Shelter in Place order for out state. It doesn't change anything for me. I was only going to local stores anyway. Hotels are considered critical infrastructure. Our boss has told us, yes, we will work next week.
Stunned805
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2020 8:21 PM

• After seeing local news today, I am worried about what's going to happen next week. They are showing people standing in line to get in stores. They have been ordered to only let in 50% or less of their normal clientele. Everyone has also been strongly recommended to wear face masks out in public. I don't have one. I tried to make one as per the instructions on facebook. It was a dismal failure. So, I guess I'll see what happens Monday or Tuesday when I have to go to the store. Don't know if they'll let me in.

Twin Mom
Posted: Saturday, April 4, 2020 8:31 PM

I am making masks and giving them away .  My work is primarily school based so I have no work right now. I am filling some of my time with trying to be productive using scraps I have on hand.  They are not fashion statements but will hopefully help to keep me a little safer when I go out.  If you would like a couple just connect with me and let me know.
A losing hand.
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2020 8:33 AM

Stunned, If you don't have a mask just use a scarf or folded towel. Better then nothing.

Good luck. 

Ed1937
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2020 8:53 AM

Stunned, if you should find a mask, please don't let that give you a false sense of security. I'm pretty sure when they ask you to wear a home made mask, it is used to stop infecting others if you are asymptomatic, and are infected. Their job is to keep your own droplets from scattering in the air, possibly infecting others. Their job is not to keep you safe from contracting the virus, although they might possibly help.
Twin Mom
Posted: Sunday, April 5, 2020 9:19 AM

Just a note...any mask will hopefully remind people not to touch their face...which should improve risk when combined with all efforts.  Staying home and 100% sequestered from the world is the only way to stay out of the virus path....but that is not possible when one must bring in an income....as some must if they do not have retirement or other streaming income.  Unfortunately, some of us are way too young to have that.