RSS Feed Print
Loss of Time Judgement
Wisdom Seeker
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2020 9:48 PM

I am new to this forum. My husband has not been diagnosed yet. I have seen and experienced several changes of my husband's reasoning and judgement abilities. He has a family history of dementia and Alzheimer's . His sweet  mother is  sadly currently in the middle stage.  My husband is young . We have two teens and one preteen .    In the last five months my husband has been raging more, far more irritable and experiences mood swings of great proportion.

Now just in the last two weeks he has had a lapse of time judgement. An example would be that he asks me to get him a gatorade a second 'll ater before I am able stand amd walk to the kitchen he rages at me that I do not have the drink yet for him. Is this a symptom of dementia? 

Has anyone elses loved one have a lapse in judging time?

I have wanted my husband to see a neuropsychologist. He agreed in April but as his behavior progresses he is now refusing.

Any advise  will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

LicketyGlitz
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2020 10:07 PM

Time lapses have been common for my mom throughout this journey, Wisdom. But the rage came much later, in the middle stages.

The neurologist that you had the appointment with, would you be able to consult with them about your husband? I would try that if it's a possibility.

I would also call the 24/7 Alzheimer's Association hotline. Explain what your husband is going through and they may have resources that can help. Their number is 800.272.3900

Others will chime in with more advice! That's all I can think of that I would do first.

Good luck to you and your family.

Wisdom Seeker
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2020 7:36 AM

Thank you so much! I often question myself in evaluating his behavior. 

We have been married for 18 years and he has always been very controlling and has a quick temper. I attributed to the diagnosis of narcissism he had years before I met him. But now I see more clearly that he is dtruggling cognitively. 

I will call the hotline and I will talk to his doctor. Thank you for sharing your mother's experience with time loss. Have a great week,  Seeking Wisdom

Rescue mom
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2020 9:21 AM

My DH with Alzheimer’s (Dx after much testing) lost all sense of time pretty early in the process. He would swear 10 minutes was an hour, and vice versa. He would say he did something in 5 minutes, when it really took two hours. He’d say he napped for 20 minutes, when it was three hours. He’d say I spent 5 minutes doing whatever, when it was all afternoon. Or say I’d been outside “for hours” when it was really 10 minutes. Etc etc etc. 

His medical people told me that loss of time is very common. Doesn’t happen to everybody, but to a lot.

Having to take him anywhere was a nightmare, because he had no concept of how long it took to get ready. And many times he just forgot he was supposed to be getting ready.

Now we don’t go many places, and we’re mostly at home, so it doesn’t really matter how long he thinks anything takes. I just have to remember he has no concept of time, and keep an eye on that.  At least he doesn’t get really angry about it. He would get annoyed if I “nagged” at him or watched him to be ready to go on time, but as said, now we hardly go anywhere.

Since yours is young, and has had temper issues, a doctor might at least be able to prescribe some meds that help him settle down a little in the anger aspect.

CaringMate
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2020 9:57 AM

Wisdom...you didn't mention the age of your husband, but the behaviors you are describing
sound like early symptoms of FTD (Frontotemporal Dementia) which strikes at a much younger age than Alzheimer's and is riddled with difficult and aggressive behaviors and loss of judgement is a hallmark of this form of dementia.  Caring for a loved one with FTD is a different and more difficult challenge and I know this because I was a 24/7 caregiver for 10+ years with my partner.  Strange as it might seem, many doctors are still unfamiliar with FTD symptoms and diagnosis and it might be helpful to you to do some research on this lesser known form of dementia and decide for yourself if the symptoms and behaviors that are typical with FTD match what you are seeing with your husband.  I studied this form of dementia extensively and presented a list of behaviors that I was dealing with against what I had researched to the neurologist and only then was my partner tested and checked for it and it turned out I was right.  Take a deep breath and realize you are not alone and arm yourself with information.  Once you understand that what you are dealing with is not "all in your mind" you will find ways to cope.  I wish you the best on this horrific journey and will keep you in my prayers.

FTD Caregiver Survivor Elaine

Wisdom Seeker
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2020 2:35 AM

Thank you so much for sharing your experience about your husband.This helps so much. My husband has begun getting angry at me saying that I don't spend time with him after I had spent hours with him . I thought he was being controlling . Your text  is helping me to realize his loss of time.

I will encourage him to let me come with him to the doctor.

TThank you.

Wisdom Seeker
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2020 2:54 AM

Thank you for reaching out to me.  I will do research on this type of dementia.

Thank you so much!  I have been seeing some more changes just this week. 

He has been losing his judgement filter in what he says. Now suddenly it seems like he says everything he thinks . Sadly it is very inappropriate speech around our kids. My husband is 55.  

Wisdom Seeker
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2020 2:57 AM

Thank you for your prayers. This means so much to me. I believe prayers are so powerful.
CaringMate
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2020 10:06 AM

You are very welcome Wisdom.  This website can be a lifeline for people dealing with issues relating to their LO's dementia that no one but a caregiver can fathom.  FTD is described as
Alzheimer's on Steroids.  I can attest to that personally and any other caregiver for a FTD patient will tell you the same.  It is much more aggressive and angry and certain measures need to be taken to keep yourself protected as the disease progresses.  More than any other form of dementia, FTD puts the life of the caregiver at risk.  But first, you need a proper diagnosis before we take this chat too far.  I say prayers for every member on this site, but especially those dealing with FTD.  There are medications that can help temporarily with the aggression and anger so I would urge you to seek out a physician who understands this form of dementia and absolutely be present at the appointment.  FTD patients retain the ability to "gas-light" their doctors so arming yourself with a list of behaviors is necessary for a diagnosis.  A cursory examination will show nothing and if this proves to be FTD getting your husband started on medication sooner than later will save both of you.  Hope this is helpful...
jfkoc
Posted: Tuesday, August 18, 2020 11:37 AM

The diagnosis protocol is important

Doctors will perform a physical evaluation and check that you don't have other health conditions that could be causing or contributing to your symptoms, such as signs of past strokes, Parkinson's disease, depression or other medical conditions.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/alzheimers-disease/in-depth/alzheimers/art-20048075