RSS Feed Print
Edema
neetzie
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2019 1:21 AM

I need to ask some help from those of you who have seen the end as I am just so unsure of what is going on.

Okay, edema. Does anyone know anything about this? My mother is in stage 7. She can't speak or walk and is doubly incontinent. About a month ago, the NH/Hospice mentioned that her legs were swollen and that she had a bedsore on one heel. Then two weeks ago it was that her feet were too swollen to wear her shoes anymore. Today I was told that she can no longer wear her socks as they are cutting into the swelling in her legs. This is all the information that I have been given no further context or explanation. Thoughts? Is this significant or normal? My mother had drug controlled high blood pressure and at this point she has been removed from all meds except for pain and anxiety. 

I should also note that my mother was clear that her suffering should not be prolonged for any reason so please don't suggest interventions.  I was/am looking for insight from other who might be/have been in this situation as to what could be causing this or its significance/timeline, etc.  The HN doesn't act like it is a big deal so hearing from others with this experience is helpful to me.  

TessC
Posted: Friday, November 1, 2019 3:43 PM

The HN were always amazed at my mom's great feet and skin and I attribute part of that to her getting weekly massages on her legs for the last 6 years of her life! She had her last one 4 days before she died. The massage therapist said the massage she gave kept edema at bay by help keeping good circulation in her legs which assist fluids to move out of her lower extremities.

If your mother has underlying heart disease then it may be harder to keep all swelling away. In that case, your mother's feet should also be "floating" on pillows so her heels do not touch the mattress and elevated at all times. Gentle massages will still feel good. We used lotion and an up and down motion along the legs to help keep mom comfortable. Good luck!