RSS Feed Print
(Remade post) Need tip of mobile games promoting responce! navigational strategies for Hippocampus sparing AD variants
Kloppstock
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 8:15 AM

Hello

My mother is 60 and have middle-stage AD and show atypical spatial disorientation which means she never gets lost at her assisted living and she have no problem finding her own room like the older patients always does

http://healthcare-in-europe.com/en/news/how-alzheimer-s-puts-your-brain-on-autopilot-in-a-good-way.html#

The elder patients are obviosly using a responce strategy through Caudate Nucleus in the Striatum that suppreses thee hippocampus spatial memory strategy.

They also get spatial navigating landmarks from the staff/caregivers to find their room in the corridorw when they as drug addicts need to move into something larger, and thats why they struggle with spatial isntruction

Spatial  strategies  involve  learning  the  spatial  relationships between the landmarks in an environment i.e. learning and memory for the relationships between environmental landmarks irrespective of the position of the observer, such that any target location can be reached in a direct path from any starting  position

My mother dont struggle here, she however needs to train to navigate more after Call of duty responce autopilot navigation strategy that im struggle to define, but i need tip of a possible less violent  simulator that can be downloaded 

to my phone for free!.

"The response strategy depends on the caudate nucleus and involves learning a route by performing a sequence of movements from specific points like "turn right at the hospital"

With practice, this strategy becomes a habit, like when we go to work on autopilot. Older adults using mental maps (spatial strategy) have more brain activity and grey matter in their hippocampus. They smoke fewer cigarettes, are less likely to take drugs and drink half the alcohol compared to response strategy users.

The patterns match ever here. My mother have never used any addictive subastances in her life, and that becomes a problem to increase the risk to early onset AD and its progression, and i need to interfere and get her minor addicted 

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4455792/ "Caudate nucleus-dependent navigational strategies are associated with increased use of addictive drugs"

The study findings might bring new avenues for research on AD. While previous clinical trials have focused on eliminating the pathology of the hippocampus alone, future clinical trials may benefit from reducing stimulation of the caudate nucleus so that it does not actively work against hippocampus during treatments.

After reading several clinical trials like

https://fdocuments.in/document/striatal-morphology-in-early-onset-and-late-onset-alzheimers-disease-a-preliminary.html

You can realize that The dorsal striatum is composed of the caudate nucleus and the putamen, the last two areas have greater atropgy in sporadic early onset AD than late onset AD

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/dorsal-striatum

"The researchers said that those players who tended to orientate themselves in video games using landmarks  rather than remembering directions were likely to benefit from playing, however these were in the minority."

Well, early onset AD patients are also in minority, fits wery well.

If i call her on the phone and ask here to return to her room, when she is currently in another room...thats the only time she might wonder where her room is, and thats  cause i DONT use responce strategy description that her brain are sett to use when caregivers guides her! offcourse, her...by her own though she uses hippocampal spatial strategy to get to her room safe and sound that older dementia patients lacks.

"In summary, response strategies are more efficient when there are constant start and target locations, evidenced by faster latencies and error reduction. However, response strategies are less efficient when a new pathway needs to be derived, because in the absence of a cognitive map, the individual gets lost with novel start and target locations

Any follow up questions i can answer? before you....

"This Dundee likes to play games! Maybe we show him some good games when it gets light."

You see i have never played a mobile game in my life, so i dont know where to get them for the first,,,and i dont know if they are free of charge.

"To be considered an actionVGP, a participant needed to report a minimum of 6 h a week of action video game usage during the previous six months. An abridged list of the action video games participants reported playing includes first-person shooters such as Fallout 3, Borderlands 2, Counterstrike and Call of Duty and third-person shooter/adventure games such as Grand Theft Auto V, Tomb Raider (2012) and Gears of War."

"Habitual action video game playing is associated with caudate nucleus-dependent navigational strategies" http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4455792/

I think that my mum should not prefer to play a shooter habitual action game. 

Theres gotta be ana ction game but with another goal...like collecting stuff,  related to remembering as in the 4-on-8  virtual  maze they used

"Navigational  strategies  were  assessed  with  the  4-on-8  virtual  maze  (4/8VM),  a  task  previously  shown to  dissociate  between hippocampal-dependent spatial navigational strategies and caudate nucleus-dependent stimulus-response (1) navigational  strategies "

Here is a pic of the maze https://www.researchgate.net/figure/A-view-of-the-virtual-environment-used-in-the-4-on-8-virtual-maze-Note-the-tree-and_fig1_313968712

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Monday, May 25, 2020 12:53 PM

Sea Hero Quest . I've played, its fun. and cute, in terms of animation.

'Sea Hero Quest' hides dementia research inside a VR game ...

30 Aug 2017 ... Sea Hero Quest VR has been created not only to renew momentum behind the citizen science project, but to also nourish a much richer dataset ...

SUMMARY

Help scientists fight dementia just by playing.

RELEASE DATE

Synopsis

In Sea Hero Quest, players navigate the high seas, swaps and rivers of lava while navigating buoys, setting flares and spotting aquatic monsters.

Sea Hero Quest explores the story of a father and son who have spent years exploring the seas and sketching memories into a journal.

When the aging father accidentally drops the sketchbook into the sea, the son sets out to rebuild the journal and help his father remember the vibrant years they shared.

Players are tasked with memorizing a map and then navigating from buoy to buoy in numerical order along a predetermined path.

The son’s quest to save his ailing father’s memory resonates deeply with players whose actions (just by playing) will contribute to research that ultimately aims to preserve the memories of others.

The game was funded by Deutsche Telekom and brought to life by game developer Glitchers in partnership with Alzheimer’s Research UK, University College London and University of East Anglia. To date, the game has been downloaded over 2 million times and players have generated more than 6,000 years of dementia research data just by playing.

Price

$0

Platforms

Android, iOS, VR

HowDoYouDeal
Posted: Thursday, May 28, 2020 4:14 PM

https://arts4dementia.org.uk/home/memory-aids/

Storii  - Is apparently FREE to the public  Its not specifically for building the spatial navigating parts of the brain, its more general, for the whole brain, to improve memory   

RemindMeCare

MindMate is apparently free to use

Special to us

Storii

dayn2nite2
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2020 8:25 AM

HowDoYouDeal wrote:

https://arts4dementia.org.uk/home/memory-aids/

We used to have a poster here who always recommended things from UK websites and was always promoting nontraditional (the polite way to say it) therapies.  

That poster pretended to have dementia, then to kill herself and then was found, and also never even had dementia.  Your posts always remind me of her.

Michael Ellenbogen
Posted: Friday, May 29, 2020 8:55 AM

I am not sure about pretended to have dementia. I believe that part was true if we are thinking of the same person.  
Lane Simonian
Posted: Tuesday, June 16, 2020 9:32 AM

HowDoYouDeal is one of the few people here who could provide a valuable response to the the original poster.  I appreciate that and probably the original poster did as well.

In the box thinking has gotten us next to nowhere in the treatment of Alzheimer's disease.  Out of the box thinking might get us somewhere or nowhere depending on the treatments recommended--and in most cases we don't know yet which is which.  The problem with the past individual was not so much the science she presented (which often was quite good; too good as it turned out for someone who claimed to have dementia), but that she was pretending to be someone she was not and made many claims that turned out to be false.