RSS Feed Print
Does anyone have their loved one using a Fentanyl Patch?
DEMENTIASUPPORT
Posted: Thursday, September 5, 2019 10:13 PM

I thought upgrading Mom from the heavy Tylenol to Tramadol would help manage her pain better. I went to see her tonight after work and she was crying in pain. She had a Tramadol at 4PM and it was 6:30PM. It took 20 minutes to calm her down after they moved her from her wheelchair to her bed in the care home. I felt so helpless. I had brought over Alexa and set it up in her room to play her favorite music. Omg, I did not expect that. It was the worst I had ever seen my Mom. She is not a complainer, ever! I held her hand and let her know it was going to be okay. I even gave her a foot rub, anything to try to make her more comfortable to stop crying. Now I'm rethinking the Tremadol and thinking she needs something stronger. Hospice will be paying their visit tomorrow and they will be calling me. The caregivers said 2 of the residents have the Fentanyl Patch that last for 3 days and manages pain. At this point it is all about pain management. I wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this? I forgot to mention why there is so much pain. In addition to Dementia her breast cancer is spreading all over her body. There are even visible open wounds that bleed. Sallie
harshedbuzz
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2019 4:28 AM

My late MIL used the Fentanyl patches for pain. She did not have dementia, but was on hospice for late stage osteoporosis and vasculitis. It worked pretty well and avoided the GI issues to which she was prone.
SunnyBeBe
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2019 9:21 AM

So sorry to hear this. I hope you will be in contact with Hospice today and that they can get right on the pain treatment immediately.  With her back pain, cancer spreading, and dementia, I would request that they do all they can do to keep her comfortable. Would a Hospice care facility be more equipped to care for her? Is she in MC or nursing home now?
Jo C.
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2019 12:22 PM

Oh gosh Sallie, I am so very sorry.  It is imperative that Hospice meets the pain needs now; in the immediate, and not later.  Fentanyl patch, if that what it takes is often used.

I am still concerned about your mother being moved and moved when it causes her tremendously severe pain that is not relieved by her pain meds.  Is it really necesssary to move her from bed to recliner chair to dinner table at this end stage of her cancer?

If your Hospice happens to have their own inpatient facility, your mother would be a candidate as she has not met pain relief and her care is more complex.  However; not many Hospice entities have their own free-standing care facility.

If you are not satisfied with Hospice service, you may change from one to another; if you feel your specific Hospice nurse is not addressing matters well or in a timely manner, you can ask for another more experienced primary RN to be assigned; that is not at all unusual.  That an RN is "nice," does not always indicate competency especially if pain relief is not addressed properly over time. As in any profession, some are better at it than others. Your RN may be just fine, but one needs to know that there are options.

I am an RN who also did consulting for Quality measures at various acute hospitals and  institutions of which Hospice was one.   Pain relief is a priority and this should not go any farther without being remedied.

NOTE:  Sometimes, when care is complex and there are extreme needs and especially if pain cannot be relieved, the patient, with full approval of Hospice is admitted to the acute hospital for other pain relief assistance.  I wanted you to know about this.

Do be insistent regarding the level of pain and the hellish consequences of moving her about.  If your mother is at end stage of her cancer and is in intractable pain, there is no point to putting her through the rigors of transfer.

NOTE:  There was no need for you to have to wait and have your mother suffering with pain overnight to contact Hospice in the morning.  It will be good to know that Hospice is a 24/7 care entity with someone always available on call. They could have addresssed your mother's pain no matter the time and if your mother needed someone to see her, an RN could have been dispatched no matter the time.  I am sorry you did not know.

My thoughts will be with you and your dear mother, please let us know how it is going and if pain relief has been obtained.

Warm thoughts coming your way from one daughter to another,

J.

CatBallou729
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2019 1:45 PM

My LO switched from Percocet tablets to a fentanyl patch a few months ago.  It's really helped with pain and also with his moods.  With the tablets, dosing can be uneven and this created big mood swings--pain makes everyone cranky and miserable.  Once we switched to the patch, the medication got into his system at a constant rate and it was much easier on both of us.  I definitely recommend it.  Do try to get hospice to handle it so you don't have to jump through so many hoops with refills.  Cannabis is also an option if you live in a medical marijuana state:  there are specific strains engineered for extreme pain relief and they can be very helpful.

DEMENTIASUPPORT
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 9:44 PM

Thank you all for your kind support. Hospice has put Mom on Ms Contin Morphine now for her pain. It's all about pain management now and for her not to be crying in pain. Poor thing, who knows how ravaged her body is inside with the cancer. The sores are bleeding both in front and back now. I went to visit Sunday and she showed no emotion, just a blank stare.
DEMENTIASUPPORT
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 10:09 PM

DEMENTIASUPPORT wrote:
Thank you all for your kind support. Hospice has put Mom on Ms Contin Morphine now for her pain. It's all about pain management now and for her not to be crying in pain. Poor thing, who knows how ravaged her body is inside with the cancer. The sores are bleeding both in front and back now. I went to visit Sunday and she showed no emotion, just a blank stare.

Mom has been taking Morphine for 3 days now. I have gone to visit her and it has helped the pain. That is all I can ask for. She is in good care and has good pain management. 

abc123
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 11:35 AM

Thank you for the update on your sweet Mom! I’m happy they have put her on a stronger pain medication. Take care of yourself too!