RSS Feed Print
Finally some progress
Ginsamae
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 5:47 AM

After weeks of me telling my DH that MIL has been showing more frequent signs of dementia he finally witnessed one of her meltdowns and even some of her 'history changing' and cooking missteps. He has tentatively agreed to allow me to make an appointment with a CELA to find out what we need to do to help her and get whatever legal rights we can. He's worried, though, that seeking guardianship or other legal power over her will force us to be financially responsible for her care and her bills. Wish us luck as we walk down this new path.
zauberflote
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 10:36 AM

Ginsamae, I'm glad you are getting somewhere. The links Victoria posted, and most especially the first one, are an eye-opener to me. All of my mom's stuff was done in NY state, but here she is in Va with me now. Family is sincerely hoping that she does not outlive her LTC insurance cap. But the ramifications of this code for our kids and ourselves are ,,,, scary.
Ginsamae
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 1:00 PM

Thanks Victoria2020! I was actually looking at the Farr Law website this morning as they have an office near where I work. I'm planning on giving them a call to get an appointment set up soon.
Ginsamae
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 1:03 PM

Hi Zauberflote. Glad to know I'm not the only one in VA going through this.   My MIL lives with us and has no assets, only Medicare for insurance, and only income is SS so we are understandably concerned about how this will impact us financially. DH does have siblings but I know they will balk at having to put up any time or $$ to help out so I'm hoping the CELA will be able to help us get things situated so it won't impact our finances.