RSS Feed Print
Mom wandered off today...
gubblebumm
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 4:11 PM

...we were at a local coffee shop we go to twice a week and she goes in I walk half a block to ATM go back get her ( I have my granddaughter) and mom, poof is gone.  She has never done that, just taken off.  Anyway, waited there, thinking hmmm she will come back.  After 20 minutes, I called the cops.  Busy street, huge park, and figured better more eyes looking then just mine.  Posted everywhere, Did missing persons report, etc...

Friends came, and started to walk the park and voila there she was, to the side of a place we had gone to before.  I had driven past it but as you know when looking for someone its easy to pass them or they are to the side, whatever...anyway phew!!

Had to take her to the police station to show them she was alive and okay, etc which was just fine.  She's home, hungry, having lunch and doesn't remember any of it.  It was only 4 1/2 hours missing, but still....

Anyway the new normal is here.  She told me I had told her to head to the park and that she was too slow a walker etc.  I said no such thing.  Then she said why did you leave me there we walked here together and you said to wait and then you left me.  Its all a jumble.  I need to get her that gps implant or something she will wear...no she is happily enjoying lunch no memory of it at all and is basicaly fine.  Me?  I need a jug of wine and a nap...I did learn I have a great village and circle of good people around me who will be there for me, and that was wonderful to be reminded of

Victoria2020
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 5:02 PM

OMG  that must have been so scary. I giggled at GPS implant, that sounds like a Tom Cruise movie. (Battery life is the issue with these products coming to market).

Maybe just a TILE type thing that she wears around her neck.

harshedbuzz
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 5:24 PM

Victoria2020 wrote:

Maybe just a TILE type thing that she wears around her neck. 

I wanna have my mom chipped. I get it. 

IME, Tiles are great, but there can be significant lag time in finding where something is if it's on the move. I used to track my mother's wallet and phone; she doesn't have dementia- just an ADHDer who misplaces stuff constantly.

zauberflote
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 7:22 PM

Oh Gubblebum what an awful day. I'm glad you found her!

Last fall Mom was sure to stay in the car if I (or bro) went inside, say, a coffee shop. Imagine my surprise one hot afternoon when I turned around, two tall hot coffees in hand, and there she was 9" from my face! She'd safely (sic!!!!) slid out of my big old minivan (first taking off the seatbelt), toddled sans walker across a small but busy parking lot, and correctly identified which little shop I was in. She said she just wanted to help me carry the coffee. 

Greg G
Posted: Thursday, August 22, 2019 7:49 PM

Hey gubblebumm,

Wow did you get lucky!  Glad things worked out for the best.  Guess there is no leaving her alone at all anymore when you are out and about.  I'm sorry you have now moved into this stage.  It continues to suck more.

Although it was great that you could call on friends for help.  That must have been a big relief.  You should share that jug of wine with them.  

Good luck and best wishes, Greg

MinutebyMinute
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2019 8:46 AM

Yikes! Scary. Glad it turned out OK.

You just never know WHAT they're going to do next. Killer part is there they are, 10 minutes later, like nothing ever happened. Meanwhile, you're still trying to remove your fingers from the car upholstery!!!

lizziepooh
Posted: Saturday, August 24, 2019 3:30 PM

Wow! That would have been a nerve wracking 4 1/2 hours. So sorry that happened.

I am glad you found her and glad you found out that you have some really good friends.