RSS Feed Print
refusing meds and aggressive
Beth43
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2019 8:19 PM

My SIL has refused to take her meds several times the past few weeks and has hit the nurse with her cane when she tried to give them to her. She has attempted to kick the nurse and aides numerous times. She becomes violent anytime she is wrong about something. She has also refused to eat a lot of her meals. If she doesn't go to the dining room, her food is taken to her room. Sunday, we were told that she was "playing' in her food and had gravy all over the bed and floor plus had dumped out her milk. She denied this saying instead that she got upset because she was eating and they came and took her food away. The nursing home always calls us and then we go up and she takes the meds for my husband. Today, he told her he's not going to visit her if she doesn't take her meds because he's not going to watch her die. She says she wants to live.  The nurse tells us they cannot force her to take her meds so now what?
ruthmendez
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2019 9:02 PM

It annoys me that they give up so easily. Can’t they just crush and hide in food or puddings or apple sauce? I did so many different tricks but it took time and effort. They can do that. Of course they can’t force her but she isn’t gonna take them either if she knows what they are. And it sounds like it’s best to hand feed her now.
ruthmendez
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2019 9:08 PM

At the hospital the same thing happened to my dad. A tray of food just left there. I walked in and he was playing like a baby. Good thing he did try to eat but it was a bit of a mess. Next time around, the nurse took advantage because she knew I was on my way. I walked in and found the tray to the side. Dad was angry and sort of slugged me. Poor guy. I took over and fed him. When nurse walked in she said, “ooooh, I told her to leave food tray there because I knew you were coming and you help us feed your dad...” I mean, it’s ok. But, I never expect much from anyone from my experience. I know no one really cares about my dad as much as I do
Beth43
Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 2019 10:10 PM

Thank you for your response. It is true that no one cares for the patient as much as we their loved ones do. The aide and the nurse have actually tried crushing the pills and putting them in food, but she always detects that and refuses to eat or drink it. She is still able to feed herself so don't know what this was all about. I sure wish we could have a camera in there to see what is going on.