RSS Feed Print
Mom and her Dementia/ALZ
Tamy1119
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 1:19 PM

Hi all...

I am new to posting here. I have been reading alot of your stories tho for the past few months. 

I am the only child of a single mother. She has been living with my Husband and myself since her heart attack and surgery in 2003. 

Her memory issues really began in 2009 and now it is full scale dementia/alzheimers. I never had her "tested", this is all based on what her Primary Care has seen. IMO she is late mid-stage Alzheimers. 

I am looking for advice and just, well, support. 

To make a very long story short, she recently fell and broke her hip (2 weeks ago).. As I am sure you all know, this kind of thing and the surgery and hospital stay, etc is NOT good with a memory impaired patient. 

This whole ordeal has been nothing short of a nightmare. She did not remember the fall shortly after it happened. Had no idea why she was in the hospital or why her leg hurt. Fought everything every step of the way. 

Rehab was worse. She decompensated memory and behavior wise. She would argue, fight, hit, slap, throw things, and just be uncooperative and combative the entire time. I know it was due to confusion, pain, fear and over-stimulation, not too mention the meds she was on. But I was disappointed that they just could not handle her at all.  She lasted all of a week in Rehab before they sent her back to the ER and would not take her back. I ended up taking her home. 

She is alittle better behavior wise. She is only on the pain meds for now. But she has been waking up in the middle of the night and wanting to wait for the "cab" to "take her home" and I can not seem to convince her she is home and to go back to bed. She gets more agitated the more I try to talk to her. 

I can handle her during the day (I do have a great Caregiver too)... but what do I do about the nights and this behavior?  I need to sleep and I am all worked up about what the next night will bring. Any thoughts on meds? Any advice? I will take whatever I can get and will answer any questions you may have...

THANKS

zauberflote
Posted: Wednesday, September 11, 2019 7:51 PM

Tamy boy do I understand about sleep! Mom has not lived with me since I left homeat 19; MC here in town is stressful enough!

I'm never there overnight to see behavior then, but I believe I'd hear about it from either staff or hospice. Regarding that cab, could you play-act checking your phone and saying something along the lines of, oh my, we got the time wrong! The cab isn't coming until tomorrow afternoon/Tuesday/next week/whatever. She will forget. I don't know if she'd accept that fiblet in the moment and go back to sleep, or what. 

Mom's hip surgery was interesting. She was on morphine from an hour after she got to her bed after the fall until the moment she was rolled into the OR. She hadNO idea what had hit her. Thankfully, she did remember the fall when reminded, so we'd repeat as often as needed that after her hip broke the doctors fixed it but she'd be sore for awhile. 

I hope your mom has a swift and low-pain recovery!

CynthiaY
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 1:21 AM

A family member who went through this with their in-law recommended we check with my MIL's doc about melatonin. It has seemed to help her sleep more peacefully at night. We give her 3 mg with dinner each night.

Best of luck. 

Tamy1119
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2019 9:18 AM

She is getting resistant to taking pills. It is a fight to get her to take anything. But I have melatonin and I am going to try that .....