RSS Feed Print
Bodily functins shutting down
Cindye1
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 6:13 PM

Hi all!  I just have a quick questioon that google is less than helpful with.  My father is in the late stage of Alzheimer’s and has lost total control of his continence (both bm and urine).  What other systems are going to shut down and is there a specific order?  Just trying to be prepared for what’s nexr.  by the way, Hospice and drs say he is in sondowners of final stage.  Thanks.
ruthmendez
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2019 11:59 PM

Hello Cindy. Maybe this can be of some help 

https://www.alzinfo.org/understand-alzheimers/clinical-stages-of-alzheimers/

However, I believe it depends on co-morbidities and age. My dad is 78 in a couple of weeks, very healthy (in my opinion), probably stage 6 to 7, in Hospice, double incontinent and non-ambulatory. Non-ambulatory going on 2 yrs by December this yr.  I expect he can go up to ~2 yrs (and will probably get discharged from  Hospice; he eats very well-no problem there).  Maybe even more, because he really doesn't have much of a serious health concern other than his diagnosis of most likely to have Alz.

Growth of prostate cancer was controlled by Lupron injections for the last 2 yrs.  I will now let that go.  His PSA level not even 1 at this point.

It is really hard to tell.  But from some other people I talk to, I've heard kidneys can fail, or signs of loss of appetite, not able to retain fluids, other co-morbidities or infections can contribute to decline.

I hope others will respond.  Personally, my thought is, depends on age and co-morbidities or current health concerns.

harshedbuzz
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 6:13 AM

It's really hard to say; it's a very individual thing.

My dad was semi-continent, ambulatory and very verbal when his digestive tract started to fail. Food seemed to go right through him and he lost 20% of his body weight in 2 months. Then he started with swallowing difficulties and died of aspiration pneumonia. I had a long convoluted and conflated conversation with him a few hours before he died.