RSS Feed Print
Dr Oz show Alzheimers
Victoria2020
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 12:12 AM

This week he revealed his mother has Alz. and how he missed it. Covers a lot of ground. Maria Shriver is on it.

I was able to watch easiest on Safari  browser, show in 14 clips, some are Bernie Sanders so you can skip those for a politics free viewing.

https://www.doctoroz.com/episode/very-personal-oz-signs-dr-oz-missed-his-mom-has-alzheimer-s?video_id=6084167089001

ruthmendez
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 12:55 AM

Thx Victoria, for sharing this. I've never watched Dr. Oz, but it's interesting to see a man who works in finding solutions be conflicted with how he could have helped his mother. 

It seems, that many of us who are experiencing this for the first time, go through similar emotions.

Very wise on Maria Shriver and her family's approach with this disease.  I kinda feel good, but not good at the same time, that I'm finding more people sharing what they're experiencing for the first time. 

I can only help, and advise, based from my own experience.  I don't feel like I'm doing much.  Team work matters.

Livesbythebeach
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 5:52 AM

Victoria- Thank you so much for posting this. 

I just watched it and I am blown away- he shared many good points including:

The diagnosis of Alzheimer's is not the time to start lying to each other- it's actually the time to bluntly and brutally tell the truth.  (his words)

He also goes through six "warning signs" - wow, that hit home for me. Small things like "fumbling" for words can be an indicator.  

And he emphasizes the importance of talking to each other- and disclosing what we are dealing with- I've personally found that empowering as I have several friends who are in the same situation with their parents. 

dayn2nite2
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 12:43 PM

Just shows that even a medical professional can miss signs.
GothicGremlin
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2019 3:33 PM

I'm not a Dr. Oz fan, but I thought that segment was very good. Several of the warning signs he mentioned were present with my sister, but we didn't see it for what it was. Good advice for family members too.

The segment raised (again) my eternal questions. With my sister it was word finding and visual perception that were the big tip offs, but since no one in our family (or circle of friends) had any experience with Alzheimer's, AD was not on our radar at all.  We thought maybe she had had a stroke.  If you don't have any experience with AD, no reason to know what the warning signs are, how do you get a jump on it, especially since you might be able to delay the worst symptoms by adopting good best practices?

Education is obviously key, but when and where should that education start?

Victoria2020
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 2:46 AM

What jumped out at me was the topic of the PWD being stubborn as a warning sign.

So many threads here, the poster  one tries to make their LO financially or physically safer and the PWD throws a stubborn fit and is inflexible.

We're used to keeping family peace so when we run into a wall we naturally tend to avoid, buckle, delay when we are seeing, in reality, another sign we should do the   EXACT   opposite.

Not fun.

Livesbythebeach
Posted: Sunday, September 15, 2019 6:23 AM

Victoria- Really good point about the stubborness.  My mom has been getting worse in that area, but she was always very difficult and gets fixated on/obsessed with things . . . but what I've noticed is that it has escalated to her insisting on/demanding things which simply are not logistically possible, legal, or reasonable.  And she's furious when my Dad and I (or anyone else) puts the reigns on.  

The symptom which I clearly missed/brushed off is fumbling for words.  That is something I thought absolutely nothing of with my mom, she's always been more comfortable talking in our native language even though she's been here in the US for nearly 50 years.  I've always been her translator/interpreter.  She makes grammatical mistakes and her spelling in English isn't the best, but that's relatively normal for multilingual people.  I speak three languages and I know I sometimes have to think for a second to get the right word or spelling in my third language (which I learned as a teenager). 

However, with mom, before it was contextual stuff or slang (again, very common for someone who is speaking a second or third language), like once we went to dinner with a friend of mine and my friend made a toast which involved a mention of a man's private parts, my mom didn't get the joke because she didn't understand the word my friend used so I translated for her. She turned bright red and giggled nervously, but she got it right away.  Now she gets befuddled over whole phrases and can't find words to describe things.  And when I do translate or explain she just looks at me blankly.   

My parents will be here in a few days, I'm going to do the tough thing and talk to them both firmly and insist Dad get my Mom to the doctor for a diagnosis.