RSS Feed Print
"baby" proofing
cmak
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 6:28 AM

Ever have those "d'oh" moments-  mental head slap ?  

The young woman staying with us- and her 3 year old daughter-  brought me some baby proofing things of hers, namely door knob covers.  Now Dan can't open the basement door to let cats in or the back door to let the other cats outside.  AND we put a baby gate across the foot of the stairs for when he is wandering.  

Don't I feel stupid !!! D'oh !!!   I could have put door knob covers over our bedroom door months ago !!!   even the toe of a sock and a rubber band will work in a pinch, I used that with my kids when visiting non-childproof houses !!  and what about cupboard and drawer locks ?!?!?   WHY on earth did I NOT think of this before !!!   

well, maybe because my "baby" is 29, but STILL !!!!  

AND after I bought a nanny cam-  you'd think I would have thought of it then, but, nooo........

I feel better now  

colleen

rhosarjo
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 9:14 AM

Colleen, those ah-ha! moments are something, aren't they?  I put the covers over our closet doors and the basement doors just a little while back.  I also put magnetic childproof locks on my laundry room cabinets, the cabinets under the sink where the dishwasher pods are located, and on the bathroom closet where the alcohol, peroxide, etc. is located.  Yesterday I took up the bedside rug on HIS side of the bed, but I've left mine for awhile longer.  Hubs also started using a walker yesterday.  He doesn't use it properly, but at least he isn't hanging on to every single piece of furniture that we have to remain on his feet.  He was using both hands and walking sideways with such tiny shuffles that he would have lost a race with a snail.  I also bought the first pack of depends underwear for him as he's now having trouble getting to the bathroom in time to pee without starting to pee on himself in the process of getting his pants down, so I know this is where we are heading and didn't want to get caught in the middle of the night needed a depends and not having one available.

My next step is to get another pack of the doorknob covers so I can put one on the inside of my bedroom door to ensure that he stays in the room with me while I shower.  I'll also put them on the front and back doors from the inside so that he will be housebound while I'm outside cutting grass.  I generally cut grass while granddaughter is here to help keep an eye on him but she's back in school now so I'm going out mid-morning while he's still in bed, but need to have a little more confidence that he won't get up and wander out of the house looking for me or trying to use the bathroom (he quite often goes out into the garage looking for the toilet).

Rhonda

cmak
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 9:59 AM

haha-

Dan never had trouble getting his trousers down fast enough, he had trouble recognizing WHERE he should go-  wastebasket,  cat dish, my home/office floor or shredder/  bathroom sink / treadmill / bathtub / laundry basket / hamper ......  Always a surprise !!

I know EXACTLY what you mean about the slow pace,  I tell him he's like a turtle swimming through molasses.   Lessons in patience..........

colleen

unknown fears
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 12:09 PM

Hi, These are all great ideas. I have changed my door knobs to the kind where if they lock them selves in a room I just take a nail and pop the mechanism. My husband wanders, the baby gates work well been using them for years. Im lucky our back yard is fenced in and I have 3 and half in swivel hooks on those. This way he can enjoy being out side and I dont worry so much. Plus it helps that the dog follows him from front gate to back gate. About 3 yrs ago I had to remove all glass and crystal from all the rooms to protect my husband. Plus I was finding things in strange places, the toilet under the bed, in the freezer and even in his depends when I was changing him. lol. I now have foam on the coffee table and some of the doorways. Munchins makes a great kit for these projects.I Have a good everyone!
Ma2threeNow
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 12:46 PM

I don't have one who wanders yet, but am trying to make lists of preparations...interested in what kind of door locks for cabinets worked?  There's lever ones, that my dad himself helped install at my house , but wondering...do they really not know how to operate the push lever ones, or are you talking about a different version of lock?
Be Strong 2
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 1:06 PM

When my wife still lived at home I mounted simple slide locks high up and low down on the front door. She never looked up, or down, just tried the door knob. I considered knob covers but ended up placing her before I purchased. I do have padlocks that I bought for the chain link gates. Never used them with her but do now to keep anyone from opening to let the dog out. I also have a package of cabinet locks that I purchased but never got around to using. 

My wife only wandered one time and ended up 2 miles from home, wearing sandals, in 98 degree heat. That was scary. I learn quick.

Remember, we're all in the same boat; and the darn thing leaks!

Bob  

rhosarjo
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 11:05 PM

ma2threenow...I used magnetic locks by Safety First.  They work well on cabinet doors but aren't quite as good on drawers because of the thickness of the wood that the magnet would have to be able to get through.  The catches are magnetic and you use a strong magnet (key) and touch it to the door where the latch is located and the magnet can get through the wood to release the catch inside.  I am attaching a picture.
File Attachment(s):
locked(1).jpg (7915 bytes)
unlocked(1).jpg (7097 bytes)

Lorita
Posted: Friday, September 5, 2014 11:35 PM

Hi Rhonda,

I bought some of those magnetic locks from Amazon but haven't installed them yet.  Were they hard to put on?  

rhosarjo
Posted: Saturday, September 6, 2014 8:35 AM

There are several different brands...I used the Safety 1st ones from walmart.  I just screwed them into the wood with the little screws that came with it.  When I needed more, I made the mistake of buying a different brand from Lowe's and when I got them home, they actually had this little piece that was supposed to fit down into a "well" or partial hole that you would drill down into the wood.  I ended up throwing them away because it was cheaper than the gas to drive out of town to the Lowe's where I had bought them (we don't have a Lowe's in our area).  I've read reviews where people complained that it only came with one key, so I kept the key that came with the ones I couldn't use.  It's nothing but a strong magnet.

Rhonda

Jo C.
Posted: Saturday, September 6, 2014 10:51 AM

In the past, I had used the childproof locks that fit inside drawers and cupboard doors.  One can open the door/drawer only a tiny bit, then you must put a finger inside the door/drawer and push down on the plastic to have it release so you can open the door/drawer.

I liked that because I didn't need any device to open the item, it was quick and in the moment.

However, it may be that some of the LOs may be able to figure it out. 

These are also good in earthquake country, I really need to get them for my new cabinets, but I keep forgetting to do it.