RSS Feed Print
$5 , $10, $20.....What's the difference??? Do you know?
BIDDIE12
Posted: Thursday, October 9, 2014 4:37 PM

On tues I had a Medical procedure done to my back.   I had to have Anest. and have someone drive me there and back.  I was suppose to rest after this was done, and apply ice to the location.  But we knew this was not going to happen.    A nice Friend of mine that I worked with did drive me there and back to have this done.   My boys stayed home to care for my husband,  and when we returned I brought dinner home so I could call it an early evening and get to bed early.   I got to bed around 9pm which was great.  But Rich was up at 11pm,   than again at 2am...   He went back, only to be up at 3:30am, and stayed up right thought until 6am.   I than decided to than get him in the shower and shave.    He did not have "senior care" on this day, but he had a women coming to do an eval on him for a "MEDICAL DAY CARE PROGRAM , PAID FOR BY THE VA".    So when he was done in the bathroom, I gave him breakfast, and had some cereal myself.  I set him up in the TV room,  than cleaned up the kitchen,  fed the dogs.   pushed through some laundry, and folded it and put it away.  Made the beds.  By now Sean was up, and asked me what I needed and told him I needed him to run the vacuum because it was not good for my back to do so.  So he did that.   In all this time, while waiting for the women,  Rich was up and down,  asking all sorts of questions that Sean and I just kept answering.   The women came and sat at the table with Rich,  and spoke to him,  She looked at his meds and asked him a few questions.   She than told me that she would be in touch,  and he would come in to the Day Care for two free Days so the Staff could see how he worked out in their system.  If that worked out, we would be told when his start date would be.   So this is Great.  Rich's decline is SO BAD... that the senior care that he attends is just not for him anymore.    This MEDICAL DAY CARE, will be more geared toward his needs.  

Today was his regular Senior Day Care.  I got him up Showered Shaved, he had breakfast.  we opened his wallet and counted his money.   He had two $10 dollars bills and 4 single dollars bills in his wallet.  we than closed it,  and he had tissues, and two pens that he carries.  

He had his coat  and hat on and was waiting by the door with his two Doxie Dogs.   Waiting for the Bus.    All of a sudden he walks away from the door and comes to the kitchen and says to me.    Can you lend me $5.00 dollars.?  I said Honey you have $24.00 , you have more money than me, we just counted your money.    He said "no".   you don't understand.  I need $5.00 dollars.   Can you give me $5.00?   I than said, Richard, why do you need $5.00 dollars?   He said , they are taking a collection, and they want $5.00, not $10.00.     So I said , you can give them the $10.00 dollars, and they will give you $5.00 back, OK?   He said "NO"  I DON'T  understand.    So I than took his wallet, ran to my Son Sean's room,  to see what he had.  He had a $5.00.  So I showed Rich, he now had a $5.00 bill, and he was  so relived.  

Who is this MAN?  Who no longer understands that their is two 5.00 inside a 10.00????      I guess it is time to take the Mac card out of the wallet,  and just leave a few singles, and a $5.00 bill.   

The New Day care will not be dealing with any money.   So things like that he will not have to worry about.   They will also have 4 RN's on duty at all times.   He will have Bathroom assist. if he needs it.   They will have group discussions.   Chair yoga...    I'm told my cost will be no more than $15.00 a day.  That includes his transportation..  breakfast, two snacks , hot lunch.  8am   to 5pm.   I will keep you all posted when he starts.      Hope you are all well. 

Bridget

File Attachment(s):
dad almost smiling.jpg (58245 bytes)

Teresa99
Posted: Thursday, October 9, 2014 4:49 PM

My dh tried to pay for a gallon of milk with two $20 bills.  He makes me very nervous with money issues.

Teresa99

Agent 99
Posted: Thursday, October 9, 2014 4:51 PM

Bridget, 

You are the ever ready bunny!  Take care of your back paleeze.  During my sweetie's TBI rehab he was unable to make change of a dollar or figure out how many coins made 25 cents.  It was gut wrenching to watch.  So I feel your pain.  Fortunately the rehab worked but he doesn't do any of the money related tasks he used to do.  Like your RIch, in addition to his glasses, two pens, cig lighter, 20 # key chain, he has to carry change in his pocket.  Mostly the change falls out on the bathroom floor when he takes his pants off at night.  Oh sh*t!

elainechem
Posted: Thursday, October 9, 2014 5:01 PM

When my hubby had his neuropsych testing last year, they said he was doing math at the third grade level. It's probably worse now. He no longer attempts to pay for anything, thank goodness. But, when he had surgery in August, l had custody of his wallet. He had something like $250.00 in it! I took out all but $40.00. He asked a couple of times later where his money went. I explained to him that he didn't need to be carrying that much money around, especially since l pay for everything anyway. I'm not sure if he understands, but be stopped asking about it. Dementia and finances do not mix!
Debbie R
Posted: Thursday, October 9, 2014 5:09 PM

My husband has not been able to use any form of cash since the dx. He couldn't count money - and just left all the purchases up to me.

jfkoc
Posted: Thursday, October 9, 2014 5:58 PM

I clearly see the need for a $5 bill...he was going to exactly as they said. So glad Sean had a 5.
BIDDIE12
Posted: Thursday, October 9, 2014 7:41 PM

Agent99

you always make me laugh...  omg!  the change on the floor would drive me NUTS!!!   I Wish I was the ever ready bunny.    I just went to the Food store to pick up my Son 'who was on CART DURY.. every night he tells me that these people drive crazy in here "and they will run me over to get a parking space".  Well tonight I pull in and there is a put up STOP! SIGN for the cross walk  where a husband and wife were trying to cross to get into the store.  So I stopped to let them cross.  THE MAN in the car behind me was so mad that they were taking so long, and I did not drive on when she cleared my car, but she was not on the side walk yet. that he pulled around me and went through the stop before she got on the side walk,   I followed him to the parking space, to get his tag number to report him and he got out of his car and yelled to me that I did not know how to "F*&^^% drive.   So I just said, REALLY, because I drove 170 children a day for 27yrs in this twp. and I would never drive past a handicap person walking the way you did.  He just walked into the store, and I waited for an officer.. and gave the story...When the officer arrived.. He was gone, so I gave the info..  The officer gave me a case number, and will call me with his name.  I will than go and get a court date, and see this Man in our local Court.     I know I do not have time for this,  but my Kid is doing Carts sometimes in that parking lot,  and people need to realize that they cannot drive in a food store lot like this.  So if I did not take the time for this, it would bother me. 

In the meantime.  My oldest Son was with Rich.    But I got to tell you To look at Rich's face this morning, when he just could not understand "KILLED ME". it is like we all know what they have,  but every set back is another SLAP IN THE FACE.   I think that is what I hate about this disease the most. 

Thank you my friends

Bridge

BIDDIE12
Posted: Thursday, October 9, 2014 7:58 PM

JFKOC,    yea,  GOOD OLD SEAN!!!!  what a guy he is!!!

He he is with his Dad..  He follows him everywhere these days...

If you ask sean does he mind doing that.   His answer is..  I'm glad i'm home from college now,  so my Dad does not have to do things alone.   When I was a kid I never had to take the Bus.   My Dad would work nights.  So he would get up and take me to School so we could just talk..   So I can do this for him... Love my Dad....Sean was our Golf War Baby...

File Attachment(s):
560251_10150856338573597_1262053251_n (1)(4).jpg (23760 bytes)
1798700_10200645306095091_1281439909_n(1).jpg (81656 bytes)
Scan0044.jpg (119514 bytes)
Scan0102.jpg (81021 bytes)
confirmation sean.jpg (26915 bytes)

Bjblyghtnin
Posted: Thursday, October 9, 2014 8:59 PM

Biddie
Bill worries about all those hundreds of thousand dollars in our checking account (wishful thinking?). He gets mixed up on $10 or is it $1,000, or $10,000.  I notice he now pays with his credit card, and yes I am keeping an eye on that.
I have decided he is in a decline, hopefully it won't be too much of one.
Bonnie

xstitchgirl
Posted: Thursday, October 9, 2014 11:17 PM

Tim always worries that he won't have any money in his pocket.  So I put two $1 bills in and an expired credit card.  Now he's happy and I don't have to assure him that he does have something of his very own.

elainechem
Posted: Thursday, October 9, 2014 11:54 PM

In his wallet, my DH has $40.00 in cash, one expired credit card, one expired debit card, his drivers license, and all the useless junk he had put on it over the years. It's as fat as it ever was so he doesn't miss anything. 
BBunny
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 12:42 AM

Bridget,  The new program sounds great. (Hope you can take it easy on your back.)     The pictures of the guys together are adorable.  You can sure see the bond between them!  I really enjoy the pictures.

I had a slap-in-the-face day.  Just a rough day.  Better tonight at least. He is gonna see his Neurologist tomorrow.  I took the day off to go.  I sure know how you feel when something just hits you, that your guy is changing fast.  Man, it stinks.

I'm sorry your sweetie is so sick.  I'm sorry mine is, too.  What can we do but keep going forward?  What choice is there, but to try to make the best of it for our family?  You are inspiring to me, because you are very real and down to earth, sharing your struggles, and you just keep trying, and doing what has to be done.

I get frozen sometimes, just overwhelmed.  But I need to wake-up in a hurry here, because new stuff is hitting us and I need to be ready. You take it easy for a few days, alright?  Make it takeout week!  Paper plate it!    Bless Bridget Bunches, Bb

BIDDIE12
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 9:54 AM

oH! Bonnie

I understand.   The boys and I will ask Rich questions when riding in the Car.  "LIKE",  "Mom, is going to buy a new car, how much do you think she should pay for it Dad"?    He will say $50.00.    So we knew he had a problem with counting Money.. but I did not think he was afraid to give someone a $10 and wait to get change back.   He panic about it. 

I have taken care of all money Since his DX.   But I always let him have $20.00 in cash, and put money in his Mac Card which he could use when he was out with the Seniors.   I would say about 5 months ago, I noticed he could not use the Mac Machine any longer to get Cash.    I also noticed that each Month he is not using the Card.    He is also not going out with them, when they go to the Stores.   I will be glad when he goes to the Medical Daycare.  It will be more geared for him.    Take care my friend.

Bridget

BIDDIE12
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 10:15 AM

Elaine,  I understand how they take account for the what is in the wallet.  I do not worry about his Mac card.   It is his little Acct, I always make sure their is not more than 25.00 in it at a time.   Also he does not have a Lic anymore,  just his Motor V. ID.   and I make sure he has his Medical Ins.. Because he is on a Bus going back and fourth with Seniors.  A typed list of his med's is in his wallet in case they were in an accident, saying he has Alzheimer's with my name, as his wife, caretaker and my number.  So they can call me right away,  rather than get that info from the Senior Center.  I feel I will have that Mac disappear soon... but he did ask for it last week.  But a few more weeks, and I don't think he will.  It is all happening so fast here.   Be well my friend.

Oh! Bunny,  you are too kind to me.    I think I need a Fire Cracker lit under me,  like I'm not doing enough.  I'm losing a lot of sleep,  so I'm slow putting my home on the market.  But I hope I get there soon.   I'm trying to empty my front room.   Get rid of a hutch..  and order a Pod for my Driveway.  than have my Son's and Son in law pack it with Book cases, and my curio Cabinets,  Books, Cd's, photo albums, and collectables.  Extra Dishes.  Extra linens.   Than they put the POD.. in storage by where we are moving and it will cost $50 dollars a month to store it there.  However, my front room will be empty, and I can have it painted along with the hallway, and get the rug shampoo.    I think when a house looks more empty it shows better.   Also that is less for me to move around and clean, and one less Room to deal with.     Now if I can just get it done.    You are right about the "paper plates".  I just texted my two Son's..  told them,  to decide where they were getting PIZZA for dinner.. that I was not cooking and was going to bed very early, than told them to enjoy.  Last night I made stuffed shells and chicken cutlet.  and where did it get me..  Rich was up, at 11pm,  1am,  2:30am,  4:15am,  My little Dog was crying at 5am, needed to go out. which never happens till 8am.   My older son, needed his ride to work at 6am I was up for that, and my younger son needed at ride at 8am.   So you could say I was up all night.  I'm about to write the VA Doc now and ask about a new med,  I just have to have him Sleep all night.   I can't stand the UP AT NIGHT.  can't do it.      Bunny,  good luck with your hubby,   Thanks for your kind words..    but I need a firecracker..  or some pep pills...hehe

Be well my friend.  Glad you enjoyed the photo's..

Bridget

Agent 99
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 11:23 AM

Bridge,

If you think you need a firecracker then I must need an atomic bomb!!  One of my sweetie's former neuros prescribed gabapentin 600 mg at night to reduce his nightly hourly awakenings to go to the bathroom.  The rationale was that the gaba would "numb" the nerves that awaken him to go.  Well it worked so well that he wasn't getting up at all and wetting the bed.  So we reduced it to 300 mg that resulted in an average of 2 bathroom trips/night and less frequent bed wetting.  More recently he started waking up hourly again, so I upped the gaba to 600 mg and now he is back down to 2 trips.  The bed wetting is now a fact of my life so while it may happen more often it is not a big deal.  Just part of the daily routine.

I don;t know if gaba is contraindicated for alzheimer's but it was also prescribed for pain my dad who has parkinson's was having.  

It may be worth a try.  But like all things dementia, a change to improve things always causes something "bad" to happen - the old equal and opposite reaction!  Just a game of choosing which bad we can deal with more.

Let me know...

Lorita
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 12:23 PM

Good afternoon,

Bridget - you're an inspiration to all of us.  There's not one in a hundred people who would have done what you did - not wanting to take the time or make the effort.  That guy should be taught a lesson and you're doing it.

The pictures of Sean and Richard are so good.  They really look alike and look like they're really good buddies.

Ray also takes Gabapentin and has for a year or more.  He was in the ER one night and they prescribed it for nerve pain.  He takes one in the morning and two at night along with his Trazadone.  Ninety-nine percent of the time he sleeps through the night and into the morning.   It's really worth  a try.  There may be an underlying pain that he's not talking about that it could help.   All we can do is try different things to see if they work.

Good luck with getting things out of your living room.  I'd hate in the worst way to try to move.  Even moving a few things out of part of the bedroom to the other part was bad enough.  Ray and I moved everything into the house by ourselves - I don't know how we did it - we moved a big antique wardrobe and china cabinet with glass all around.  I don't think I'd even attempt it now - but that was 14 years ago and we were both a lot younger.

I don't dementia of any kind or getting old, either. Things just seem to get harder and there seems to be more of them.

About carrying money in the billfold - Ray hasn't carried a billfold for a year or more.  One of the last times he carried one we had gone to the bank to get our allowance for the month - I think somewhere around $50 or a little more.   I don't think he put it in the billfold and when we got out at WM he dropped it on the pavement by the PU.  I didn't know this until we came out and it was still there.   So, no more money.  He doesn't even think about it anymore. 

BIDDIE12
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 12:32 PM

Dear Agent99

I have written this down and will put it in with the note to the doctor.  Maybe we should give Richard 800mg..     Richard has never wet the bed, YET!! KNOCK WOOD..  however he goes so often he has nothing left to have an accident with.  I'm sure those days are right around the corner for me.  He does forget where our bathroom is in our 3 bedroom rancher, where we have lived for 32 yrs.      However, did I not read that you take your husband to work each morning?  So I thought your husband was in the beginning stat ages  and not having bathroom issues as of yet.  I would say Rich is in the middle of stage 6, and he was DX  in Aug 2012.   How far along would you say your husband is?   I am so far behind with getting this house on the Market, but i'm now going to take a 3 day trip to FLA to see my Grand Daughters see their princesses.    I will leave on Mon the 27th and return the 29th..  I have not flewn in 40 yrs,  but I need the respite.  My Daughter will be in FLA at her Condo time share.  My Boys will be home with my hubby.   Wish me Luck.  Here are the Girls.  They are PRINCESS CRAZY... HEHE

Bridget

File Attachment(s):
1782112_10201667303404385_6323974961870063744_n(1).jpg (142169 bytes)

jfkoc
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 2:24 PM

I think this has been discussed but has Rich seen an Urologist for urgency or prostate problems?

So not knowing about this princess thing I did some googleing...this might be helpful:

http://www.buildabettermousetrip.com/disney-princesses-at-disney-world/

elainechem
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 3:27 PM

Bridget,
Love your grandbabies! 

Agent 99
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 3:47 PM

Yo bridge

That's the NY left in me. My sweetie has normal pressure hydrocephalus complicated by two traumatic brain injuries. In nph incontinence, cognitive decline and gait/balance problems are the three obvious symptoms that lead to diagnosis when one has an astute doc. Otherwise it is missed or ms.diagnosed as aging processes, alz, or anything but.  His cognitive decline doesn't involve memory issues rather executive functioning, decision making, processing. There are no stages associated with nph. When I looked at the alz stages it was like his dementia is a Chinese restaurant menu - one from column a, two from column b, etc.   it's a roller coaster ride.  Oh I think you asked in another post about his choking/coughing. The swallow test showed reflux. Just three days on nexium it essentially went away. Good grief. I thought it was related to his lung cancer. 

Bjblyghtnin
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 7:06 PM

Bridget

Does he pee every time wondering.  After passing a kidney stone I kept having the urge all the time, even when I had just gone.  Dr. Gave me med. to help that, I later passed another stone.  Maybe he would be helped by it.

Bonnie

BIDDIE12
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 9:11 PM

Hey Lorita, and Agent99

thanks about the Med..  I did go on Myhealtyvet.gov.  and send a note to the Doc..  Lets' see what I get.      Lorita, how many MG is he taking, because you give it twice a day??    Also, do you think Rich will start Bed Wetting with it?   Did you all have the Bed wetting start with this medication?

I will let you all know what I hear from the Doctor.  

Oh Lorita,   Yes that Man was so Rude to do that to a women who could hardly walk, and she was using the walk way.  "TO DRIVE AROUND ME WHEN I'M STOPPING FOR HER".  I just could not let that go.    NOT WHEN MY KID IS OUT THERE COLLECTING CARTS.  are you going to hit my Son for a parking space too!!!     When the officer came to the scene,  they make me so mad  "they are so DAM YOUNG, and I think I drove him to school!!!   It is like getting a Doctor in the  ER and they look 18yrs old.???

I will keep you posted on that.

Ok  Agent99 ,  I did remember that your hubby had other things going on.  So it is hard to tell just where he is with the Memory stuff,  as compared to Alzheimer's?     Now is he still going to the Lab to work?     I have a Brother in Law, now Retired, but Grad from HARVARD as a Chem, and worked for a couple of pharmacy's discovering new med's for Alzheimer's.  He is my younger Sisters husband, now Retired living on a like in Mass.  omg,  time for Bed.

Wonder what kind of night I will have.   May it be good for all of us.

Bridget

BIDDIE12
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2014 9:29 PM

JKFOC,

I think i'm going to call you the GOOGLE QUEEN.. you do it better than anyone I know.     Well, my Daughter has a 'time share"  in FLA from her first marriage, that she had "no children " in.    So her and Mark take the kids once a year.  Now that they are older, and into the "princess thing".  They go on the "princess tour, where you meet all the PRINCESSES, and have your picture taken with them.    Tessa and Sophia will wear their Princess Dresses, and their will be "a lot of Princess stuff going on". So i'm sure I will have picture of it.    This year, they will be Dressed as

ELSI, AND ANNA..  from Frozen.   Dresses have been cleaned a pressed.  and I have been told by TESSA,   that I   "ME"   "BIDDIEMOM"  Make the best French braid.   So it is a good thing that I will be there.

I will check out the link,   I copied and pasted it.  onto my facebook.

thank  you my friend. 

Bridget

ELAINE,   thanks so much "about my Grandbabies".   THEY do light up my life.   Sometimes , I call them "little new jersey housewives"   They are so into fashion, and shoes and pocketbooks..    If you say "shopping, the oldest TESSA, she is right with you.  God just knows when to give you a Distraction from the everyday.  Tessa and Sophia are my Distraction for sure.. 

Goodnight Ladies

File Attachment(s):
Facebook-20140930-105532.jpg (52750 bytes)
Facebook-20140527-074128(1).jpg (145843 bytes)
Facebook-20140930-105419.jpg (66731 bytes)